Superb S3 SE Drophead 26R/BRM STYLE Road Racer !

PostPost by: Verve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:32 am

This is a stunning 26R/BRM Styled Elan S3 SE Drophead ( my Dream Elan ! ) , with all the right bits on it ( QED Fuel Injection , 450 cams , Re-inforced Lotus Chassis , AP Brakes , Quaiffe LSD , Close Ratio Box with Alloy Bellhousing , TTR Exhaust /Suspension etc etc ) ... since full rebuild has only been used sparingly on the road ( but could go back on the track ) ... it`s actually a bit too good for me & would be a shame to take all the racing tackle off it ... as I`m just a road softie !

So , just giving the heads up here first , before preparing to put on pistonheads ... for sale at 39,950 ( you couldn`t build it for that ; ) !

Serious enquiries only please : )

Paul .
Attachments
100_6157.jpg and
100_6246.jpg and
Last edited by Verve on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
S4SE Drophead , Sprint Drophead , Esprit V8 , 1978 Caterham Big Valve .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Paul,

That looks REALLY nice! I?m shocked you?d want to part with it.

As a further nod to its roots I do wonder what it?d look like with polychromatic orange bumpers 8)
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi Steve ,

Apparently it did have orange bumpers from it`s racing past ... & I`m secretly hoping nobody wants it ... then I can convert it to purely road spec` without the lads criticising me ... keeping the lovely arches & wheels of course ; ) !

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:11 pm

It really is a lovely looking car Paul

Best of luck with the sale

Regards

Mel
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks Mel ,

I don`t need too much luck ... I`m more than happy to keep it ; )

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Caveat Emptor, re:- BRM Moniker.
Car 1st Reg 1st Jan 1967
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:12 pm

That?s a nice looking S3 and a very nice price considering what has been done to it. Good luck with your sale!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:27 am

Hi Paul,

I too have a S3 that was converted to 26R by the original owner in the late 60's. He died in the early 70's and his son took over the car. He crashed it while driving on the street over the icy winter of 1974-75. I bought it in crashed condition in 1984, then a year later, when I was just getting started on the restoration, I was able to purchase a local Lotus Eleven S2, that took precedent. After a 3 year restoration, I raced the Eleven in vintage events for many years and then a FJr.

Now I am preparing to commence the restoration of the 45/26R. I would like to know where you have sourced the front arches, front bumper and headlamp covers. Are they from Tony Thompson?

I noticed that you also have relocated the radiator farther into the nose and I looks like an aluminum one, source?

I'm not going to wish you luck in selling your car. I think you should keep it!

Thank you,

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks Roger ,

That`s great you have an S3 45/26R too ... they do look fabulous ... I`d like to think , if Lotus still made the Elan today ... it would be in that style !

Apparently my car , was a stored bruised old Racer , already in the 26R/BRM guise with the arches etc ( but is an S3 & not purporting to be anything else ) in a Private Club Member`s ( now deceased ) Collection ... before being bought nearly 20 years ago by the PO ( a fellow long standing & respected Club Lotus Member & Engineer ) , who commenced a superb no expense rebuild ... adding the fuel injection , new alloy rad ` & various upgrades on the way ... before putting it on the road .

We were at TTR recently ... & the arches do look the same as the original 26R style that Eddie supplies ... so , I would certainly recommend them . Of course they sell all the other trick-bits ( I have substantial TTR invoices ; ) , if you want them too !

Sometimes you only really know a car by owning it ... I was expecting heavy steering with the big tyres ( it`s not ! ) ... maybe some harshness from the TTR drivetrain ( not really ) ... & the fuel injection certainly tames the semi-race cam : ) !

However , I will never go on the track ... & I should keep the car .... but some of the racing elements I just don`t need ... so there is a brief opportunity for someone else ... before I make it purely my own guilty pleasure ; ) !

It will be very interesting to see how you get on with your rebuild ... please keep us all posted : ) !

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi Paul,

You have one hell of a car there, I met the P0 back in 2010 and had some silly idea that I could afford to by it. The PO showed me his rebuild album, everything was beautifully executed with great skill. I probably have this wrong but if I recall correctly it was built from a racing shell/car which was one of a trio. I also seem to recall the team or maker/modifier of the shell began with W?. That was 9 years ago so my memory may be playing tricks. It wasn?t wearing the BRM nose badge or cam covers then, but a standard cam cover with BRM build plate, it was so beautifully put together I just wanted it so much. You are a very lucky man to have it and Inwould keep if I were you. It?s a one of a kind and perfect in my view.

Best

Peter
Attachments
fcb7feaa-d658-46d9-a564-1cb671c221f5.jpeg and
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:00 pm

I`m intrigued, which of the "upgrades" would you want to remove to improve the car for road use? What makes them undesirable?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am

The only drawback I could imagine would be that I?d bet it?s quite loud (maybe I?m wrong, often am). That said today?s Elan useage is for most short journeys and living with that would be easy. If you were gong off on 250 mike plus trips every week I could imagine it becoming draining.

Paul, keep it you?ll be sorry.

How about a few more shots of it?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks for the info` & comments Guys : )

I did ought to keep it .... but the car certainly has a foot in both camps ( road & track ) at the moment ... & is a very acceptable road car too ( some would say superior ) ... but if I keep it I will change one or two things ( out of preference not improvement ) ... mainly because I`m the "Oddball" ; ) !

It was easy to set the TTR Fast Road shocks to a softer road setting ... & I`ve already replaced the track tyres with slightly smaller road tyres ( 195`s on the back & 185`s on the front ) ... all to good effect ...

However , I `ve been driving ( & lovin` ) Elans on the road for nearly 40 years now ... I regularly go everywhere , anytime of year , whenever the weather allows .... & what I love about them most , is the original soft , supple compliant ride & beautiful handling , on our now camera ridden imperfect roads ....

So , I would change to TTR comfort spec` springs ( most people wouldn`t ... the ride is good as it is ) ... bring back the donuts ( oh yes , preferably the Spyder version with just one each side ) , as I love a cushioned drive line ... & detune the cams to 420 spec` ( sacrilege a voice says in my head ; ) !

But , as I said ... the problem really is me ... the car is Fabulous as it is !

I`ll sort some more pictures Steve : )

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Evening Paul .
Your S3 looks exceptional , hope you get a quick sale .
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks Greg ,

I`ve got a couple of good interested parties ... & I took the Elan for a courtesy MOT today ... it walked it of course ... & even the lights are Fabulous !

Cheers ,

Paul .
Attachments
100_6299.jpg and
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: