1966 Lotus Elan SE Roadster Going up for Sale Soon

PostPost by: cmann77 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello all,

I am the son of a lifelong auto enthusiast who collected mostly German, Italian and British cars. Unfortunately, my father passed away in late 2014 of pancreatic cancer at the young age of 65. Since then, as I am his only child, I inherited a stable of cars and have been working hard to steward (and enjoy) his collection over the last couple of years. My father always loved the Elan. Ever since I was a child, I can remember him talking about "jack the giant killer" and Colin Chapman's amazing design and engineering talents. I heard racing stories of how a 1400 lb car routinely would defeat its larger, heavier European competition. So towards the end of his life, in 2013, he finally fulfilled his dream of actually owning an Elan, and I got to see what all the fuss was about. He purchased the car from a gentleman who enjoyed the car for many years in CT and even used to show it at Lime Rock, where the car won some awards. So in my hunt to learn more about the car, I actually found the Hemmings link my father used to purchase the car in the first place! Here it is:

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/201 ... s-elan-s3/

So, as you can see, the car is in good shape and is a well loved driver that has been maintained over the years. Dad always liked what he called "sincere" cars and "drivers." So this car is not a show car or "trailer queen" as I have heard some called. This car is for the enthusiast that wants to drive the car and appreciate its lived in patina. I must say I have enjoyed it quite a bit myself as has my wife who loves drop tops. But alas, I digress, we just purchased a house and there are more pressing needs in our family. So it is time for me to dispossess of this car. In the meantime, I have recently repaired a slight crack in the radiator at a proper radiator repair shop that works on antique cars. I have replaced weather stripping. I have replaced spark plugs, replaced the convertible top and cover, and I have tuned the carbs up. Everything is firing wonderfully and on time!

This car is incredibly fun to drive and is a true treasure of British racing history incarnate. I am planning on putting this car up on bringatrailer.com in mid or late September after I return stateside from an extended trip my wife and I are taking to Spain. I wanted to post this here because my uncle(also a car guy) said that this was the place to post first.

So please let me know if you are interested, and I am happy to answer any questions and send current photos. In the meantime, the old Hemmings link has most of the specs that you would be interested in. I believe dad only put less than 500 miles on the car since it was purchased from the gentleman from CT in the Hemmings ad. Please contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks all!

Cameron
cmann77
New-tral

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:25 am

Cameron
I looked to purchase this car from Charlie Browne in Ct. and I as understand it he sold it to John Garvey in Oklahoma City. Is it possible your Dad bought it from John Garvey?
Regards
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cmann77 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:45 am

Hello Chris,

I need to check the paperwork in the binder which is in the garage. I suspect you are correct, because that is the correct owner from CT. The Tennessee title I checked this afternoon says the car was purchased 2-24-2014. If the gentleman from OK sold it at that time, then Dad must have purchased it from him. I am certain the records are in the binder in the garage. I will check this weekend.

It was very convenient to have found the Hemmings blog link because it is so easy to share but there is certainly much more information in the paperwork. There is also a box of all sorts of spare parts which would be sold with the car, old cams, mirrors, bits and bobs that must have come off of previous incarnations of the car but were kept nonetheless.

My father, being the true enthusiast, also had parts manuals, an owners manual, and LOADS AND LOADS of various Lotus hard cover books which he purchased over the years which I would consider letting go with the car as well making this car a wonderful package of Lotus information and historical relics.

Cameron
Memphis, TN
cmann77
New-tral

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Cameron
If you check the Lotus Elans for sale forum on this website and scroll back to late 2013, you will see the car for sale by John Garvey.
Regards
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cmann77 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:37 am

Hey folks,

My S3 Elan S/E roadster will be going up for sale in Oct! Interest is gathering but no serious offers yet. Please contact me directly if you have questions or want to see current photos: [email protected]

Its been great fun to meet and chat with some of you on this site. May the odds be ever in your favor!

Cameron
cmann77
New-tral

PostPost by: jonas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:57 am

Is it still for sale and price?
jonas
New-tral

PostPost by: cmann77 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes indeed! The car is still for sale. Just email me for more information. The only change is that I gave the Lotus dealer sign to an enthusiast friend of mine for his birthday. Everything else is in tact.
cmann77
New-tral

Total Online: