Orig 2 Owner DHC Sprint - Surrey, UK

PostPost by: TonyCaldwell » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Initial heads-up on the forum, I'm going to put my 71 Sprint up for sale. I'm only the second owner after acquiring the car from my friend ten years ago, I vowed this year to really use the car but with other 'classics', boats and kids, again, it has not happened; better someone can really enjoy and use her.

Very original with sensible upgrades, including; larger radiator and kenlowe fan, electronic ignition, replacement (autographed!) chassis and alternator. Highest spec from new and maintained accordingly since.

Extensive documentation including 'Lotus factory inspection authority process stage documentation - see my post of few months ago - original service record and hand-book, Service parts list etc.

Plenty of photo's available ('His and hers at Goodwood' post) and happy to give full details if anyone seriously interested.
TonyCaldwell
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tract0rman49 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:46 pm

This has got me thinking about my April 1971 built July registered drop-head Sprint.... I am owner number 3 having bought it from Mattys summer 1996 following a really expensive restoration by owner number 2. Well sorted car that won a couple of LDC standard class sprints in 1997 (one of which at Hethel.) Hardly used the car the last few years and really don't use it enough and do not enjoy all the routine maintenance tasks - not to say they do not get done) :D . Car featured in Autumn 1997 back to back rag top tests of five marques. Mercedes, Porsche, AC, BMWZ1, Elan versus Elise.

Not sure whether to completely restore and offer for sale as concours or let it go as is. Any thoughts suggestions gladly considered.

Michael
Attachments
DSC00462.JPG and
My Elan Sprint
tract0rman49
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:43 pm

TractOrman49 wrote: Any thoughts suggestions gladly considered.

How about start your own thread and let Tony Caldwell get on selling his car ?

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

512BB wrote:TractOrman49 wrote: Any thoughts suggestions gladly considered.

How about start your own thread and let Tony Caldwell get on selling his car ?

Leslie

Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tract0rman49 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh so sorry!!!! Not fully up to speed with unwritten etiquette re posting!!!

Apologies for my "Senior Moment"!

I actually thought genuine Lotus Elan owners input was what keeps this forum alive.

My wrists are well and truly slapped....

BTW it is tract0rman49.
tract0rman49
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:52 am

tract0rman49 wrote: Oh so sorry!!!! Not fully up to speed with unwritten etiquette re posting!!!

Frankly, I am amazed by your response. I would have thought a simple 'sorry about that' and deletion of your post would have been the right way to go. Instead, you try to justify your actions by claiming some 'unwritten etiquette'. The fact that you splurge an ad for your car all over someone else's ad suggests you do not know the first thing about etiquette.

tract0rman49 also wrote: I actually thought genuine Lotus Elan owners input was what keeps this forum alive.

It is, but what has that got to do with your ad over somebody else's ad ? Your input, a thread about your car, what you have done with / to it, in your ownership,for sale ad, would be most welcome, in the right place.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:39 am

Leslie, it just looked to me that tractorman was asking for advice perfectly relevant to the original posting. What`s the fuss? and where`s the helpful advice this forum is justifiably proud of?
T-man, if you`re thinking of selling, I`d advise selling it exactly as it is, rather than investing more.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:21 am

No Jim, he did not ask ANYTHING relevant to the original posting. Have another read of his post.

Helpful advise always available on LE.N., but surely not when you place an ad for your own car on the back of someone else's ad. Start your own thread, be it a for sale ad or a thread asking for advise, but let someone who is trying to sell their car get on and do so, without asking questions about your own car, with pictures of your own car.

I cannot believe you do not agree with that Jim. No fuss.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Nice to see that you're back Leslie, subtle as ever and tolerant to a fault :lol:

Tony,
good luck with your sale, I doubt it will hang around for long and that the right buyer will be found soon.

Michael,
If the car is as good as it looks it would be best for you financially to sell it as it is. Although prices continue to rise, even given your starting point, the cost of a restoration is still more than the car is worth.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Nice to see that you're back Leslie, subtle as ever and tolerant to a fault :lol:

Tony,
good luck with your sale, I doubt it will hang around for long and that the right buyer will be found soon.

Michael,
If the car is as good as it looks it would be best for you financially to sell it as it is. Although prices continue to rise, even given your starting point, the cost of a restoration is still more than the car is worth.

Plus 1!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Here we go again !
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:39 am

Spyderfan wrote: Nice to see you back

I have not been anywhere Alan. I just did not think I would take part in the bully boy antics that you 'GUILDED MEMBERS' involved yourselves in over the summer. Its a shame that Jeff took down your admonishment so quickly, before I suspect many had read it. I suppose you were an embarrassment to him.

And +1, I would expect nothing less from you.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:51 am

512BB wrote:Spyderfan wrote: Nice to see you back

I have not been anywhere Alan. I just did not think I would take part in the bully boy antics that you 'GUILDED MEMBERS' involved yourselves in over the summer. Its a shame that Jeff took down your admonishment so quickly, before I suspect many had read it. I suppose you were an embarrassment to him.

And +1, I would expect nothing less from you.

Leslie

Leslie,
I thought my reply would raise a smile with you? I have said it before that you are very good company and very knowledgeable and passionate about Lotus Elans, but you have an unfortunate tendency to get your literal shotgun out and give innocent people both barrels for the slightest indiscretion.

Cheer up! Let's have the proper Leslie 512BB back on here..... many people know him as the helpful guy who properly reconditions differentials and sells them on at a very fair price, others know him as a collector of top Lotus Elans and font of knowledge.

Things get heated on here sometimes, we are all pretty sophisticated articulate individuals who don't take kindly to being slapped down. Humour is often a good response or defence, but unfortunately this doesn't always work as it is often misunderstood or misconstrued, sometimes you just have to say what you think straight out and sometimes this gets us into trouble because that sort of sometimes offensive behaviour is unsettling to a global audience.

I had no intention of opening old wounds, you have my home number, please give me a call.

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyCaldwell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Few photo's and thanks for all the support and interest - i'm back in uk tomorrow and should be better able to communicate
image.jpg and
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
TonyCaldwell
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gibbon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:17 am

Have i missed the point where a price was asked for this?

Thanks
gibbon
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: