Bringing the Elan home

PostPost by: zog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 am

That was quite a long trip. Glad you guys made it back home safe and sound.
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Congratulations Walt!

There is something quite satisfying in doing successfully that which the skeptics say is too hard or risky, especially at our age :D As I suggested, the car was capable enough to make the trip and you were willing to take on the challenge. I hope you found it was as invigorating as it was tiring. Since you sound exhausted, that would mean you found it exhilarating. I would love to know the details of the trip when you catch your breath and photos are always welcome so let us in on your adventure.

Oh, and send me your postal address via email so I can send the promised copy of my book Road Trip!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wthode » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm

The last day of our trip home with the Elan was generally uneventful. We exited the Teton area going south on U.S. 26 and stayed on it to Idaho Falls. Pretty country most of the way, and not yet too warm. In Idaho Falls we switched to U.S. 20, which took us all the way to Boise. Most of that stretch was arid desert, and it got hotter as we went. The worst 40 miles of the trip was the last 40 miles, when U.S. 20 joined I-84 from Mountain Home to Boise. No alternative route was available. We trundled along in 100-degree heat at our estimated 60 mph (the speedometer having gone permanently south, being stuck at 80), while all the SUVs and big rig trucks roared past at 85 or so. This was the only real stretch of freeway on the whole trip. We reached Boise at the start of rush hour and had to deal with stop lights and traffic, with an idle that had switched to 2000 rpm. We finally pulled into my driveway about 5:30. Home at last and take that, you doubters. 1800 miles with no real problems. The last few miles, with the temperature gauge creeping up from 80, where it had stayed the entire trip, to past 100, seems to have taken its toll on the battery. When I went out to start it this morning it wouldn't turn over. Glad it happened when it did. Now to get it registered and licensed and make it my own. Thanks to those who rooted us on.
wthode
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: