Largely Lotus Barn Find - Sydney, Australia

PostPost by: Rozzer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:35 am

Afternoon all

For those not present at the General Meeting on Tuesday, I thought it worth flagging that due to the sad and early death of one of our members, John Hotop, his "collection" of cars will be cleared by his widow shortly.

Details are sketchy currently, but I thought I would flag it in case anyone has a burning desire for a project car; the truncated list (based on what I can remember) is as follows, and more details will be published as they become available (photos in particular, but also a date for an open for inspection day - which will be one day only, no reasonable offers refused):

3 x Europas - at least one is an early Renault TC, one may be (unregistered) with a V6, and it's hard to know what the other is

1 x S3 Elan - either the paint has been rubbed back, or years of sunshine have destroyed the paint

1 x Plus 2 Elan - when it stopped all that was wrong was a seized water pump - that was 20 years ago

1 x Chrysler Sunbeam - unlikely to be a Lotus Sunbeam, but may prove to be once uncovered and verified!

2 x "wedges" - can't remember exactly what they are, but possibly an Eclat and an Excel - will confirm once I get more detail

1 x copy-Seven chassis - incomplete

1 x spaceframe chassis for a hillclimb car - poorly built and probably only good for parts/ideas

None of the cars are runners, so if you are interested, you will want to bring a trailer. Remember that caveat emptor applies - these cars have all sat out in the Australian weather for many years so are sadly in very poor condition.

All the cars are located near Penrith. No reasonable offer will be refused, and all must clear on the day otherwise they will be scrapped (which I think would be a shame)
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1962 Lotus Elite S2 #1591
1964 Lotus Elan S1.5 26/4177
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 am

More (accurate!) details as follows:

Estate clearance: 9 Lotus cars and 3 motorbikes for tender and sale of equipment.
Sunday 29th March, 2015, between 9am and 2pm, in Penrith region of NSW.
This will be the only opportunity to tender and buy on the day, no exceptions, so start planning now.
The tender process on the day for the cars/bikes should be completed by 2pm leading to their sale that day. They may be collected later if needed.
Equipment sales will be progressive during the day.
Lookers are expected to assist in removing rubbish to bins in the front yard to assist the family, so come dressed accordingly and wear shoes.
NOTE: All cars and bikes have been sitting outside or under poor shelter for many many years and will have major rust problems, with the exception of the Lotus 7 replica project, which has always been garaged.
Neither the family or Club Lotus Australia Inc. can guarantee the information below is accurate, so buyers beware.
1. Blue Eclat 1984 model, never registered in NSW. Taken off road to renovate.
2. Red Excel 1989 model, last rego ABW12X, NSW.
3. Bare Europa off chassis and chassis and all parts may be there. ex Melb, Steve Kolivas.
4. Red Europa with crash on RH front ex Barry Hotop.
5. Orange Plus 2, last rego AIK73D, ex Tom Devitt KDD601. Water pump failure.
6. Space frame for motorbike engine, but build is very suspect and never completed. Bits may be there.
7. White Europa, 1600 Renault TS, ex Scott McLeod in Sydney..
8. Maroon Europa, Peugeot V6, registered BMR360 and BBl907 ex D.Mahar.
9. Lotus 7 replica, uncompleted. Thought to be from Geoff Wheeler. Motor in chassis may be from the Elan.
10. Lotus Sunbeam Talbot , but very badly rusted and with engine. AEC87X
11. Lotus Elan SE S4 drop head with hard top. Ex Steve Taylor in Sydney. Regos ST 808 then KDD601, JEN 289.
12. Honda CB750 4 motorbike.
13. Honda thought to be CB350 bike.
14. Honda thought to be CB250 bike.
15. Assorted Dolomite wheels and possibly others.
16. Assorted Dolomite bits and Alpha bits.
Photos are available on http://www.clublotus.com.au/2015/02/est ... equipment/
For security reasons the address will not be made available until Wednesday 25th March. To be advised of the address or of any changes, e mail mozziebATispdrDOTnetDOTau with your name, address and phone number, and you will be notified by return email on the 25th.
Last edited by Rozzer on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Photos are available on www.clublotus.com.au ?????
went on website.....not a single picture anywhere.
what gives???
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 am

Apologies - technology (or lack of it) at the senders end is preventing the photos getting up on the club site as fast as they should have - I expect them there later today....
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Photos are now up in all their glory (ahem!)...
http://www.clublotus.com.au/2015/02/est ... equipment/
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 pm

I can only imagine how overwhelming & daunting a task Mrs.Hotop current situation appears.

My Bests Wishes to Mrs.Hotop in both a financially rewarding & relieving outcome.

Appears to be a literal "Gold Mine" of cars & associated parts...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:33 pm

That's just plain sad... would make an interesting episode of "Hoarders"...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 am

Sorry, but this seems pretty comical. A tender process is usually for the upper end of more desirable kit but looking at this lot it realty seems a bit sad, dare I say it but most of it is crap.... The s3/4 looks interesting but unless uber cheap not worth the bother I would think
Any who, nor meaning to upset anyone but all seems a bit odd, give it away to a good home rather than thus would be my choice if it wax me
Hopefully someone picks up a project or rescues something..

As the advert sats, "Don't forget to wear shoes"... Really?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:04 pm

gordont wrote:As the advert sats, "Don't forget to wear shoes"... Really?

Probably written by the guy wearing flip flops in the photo of the wheel/tire combination. Aren't there dangerous snakes in this geography?

This is my wife's greatest fear, this is verging on mental illness.

In reality the deceased wife just wants rid of the whole mess asap; she may well end up giving a lot of it away, but there are some good parts here including at least one twin cam engine. Good on the local Lotus club getting involved so that hopefully at least some cars will live again.

I feel sorry for the neighbours...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm

I spotted plenty of good stuff in those photo's, at least one twin cam engine, possibly 2 if the picture of the engine isn't what's lurking beneath the +2's bonnet. 3 Europa shells , an S4, The ?xcel's look restorable or at the very least a cheap source of parts to keep another undervalued classic Excel running. Even a original +2 rear bumper hanging off the rafters.

Thanks for posting this up Ashton, shame it's too far away for me to come and bid, but I enjoyed looking.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:40 pm

As anyone who has tied to source parts for a lotus even seemingly the most mundane of parts, ALL I see is $$$$ in those photos!!!

I'm fairly certain there are MANY members of the local lotus club/s, just waiting for the opportunity to bid, as a previous poster noted in regards to the brand new Plus 2 rear bumper hanging from the rafters, that's $$$ hanging there.

I know if I was in proximity of the auction, I would definitely be bring a fistful of money & an arm ready to be raised repeatedly!...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 am

Agree wholeheartedly with Mark and Allan.

And also Phil: good on the local Lotus club to help out the widow with this distress sale. Wish I could be there. :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: