Lotus Elan S3 Pre-Airflow Coupe For Sale

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 am

HI all,
I am posting this first out to all you guys.

My good friend Ron wants to sell his Lotus Elan 1966 Pre-Airflow Coupe to purchase an Elise.

Now he would also consider some sort of trade for a nice Elise. You ask why. The simple reason is that Ron is quite frankly getting up in years, and he wants to buy an Elise. He just thinks he has had the Elan long enough having bought itnew at the Birmingham Auto Show, right off the stand back in 1966. He is the original owner

Left hand Drive. BRG.

Here is where the car sits right now.

Last year I completely renewed the total suspension. New rear wishbones, CVs from Elan Trick Bits down Under. Adjustable rear suspension. New shocks all the way around with new bushings all the way around. New seals on the Diff.

Took the car to LOG 33 and after Ron decided that the motor needed freshening up. So I pulled the motor last fall. Took it my motor guys and had it completely gone through. New rings, bearings etc etc.. Bought most of the parts from Ray at RD, Jeff at JAE and Dave Bean. Have all the receipts or can get them.

Motor is currently sitting in my garage, bottom end all set to go. Top end all set to go. Distributor sent to Advanced Dist for complete overhaul. Needs to be assembled with new Bean Cartridge Water Pump Front Cover. Have all gaskets etc etc.

Motor needs to go back together and put in car. We can sell it as is if someone wants to do it themselves or soon I will be doing it myself.

Car had been repainted at some point and it is what what I would rate a 6 or 7.

What are the negatives on the car. The frame has some rust in the normal place right by the rear where it splits to go back to the rear uprights. For a complete restoration, I would replace the frame (and I know where one can be had for a reasonable cost) but to be honest, car is good as it is. They all rust there.

This car has a few wierd things I have never seen on an Elan. It has diff cooling ducts under the car. Never seen those. It has mountings for bonnet locks at the corner of the bonnet opening, but no locks

Dash I replaced along with the headliner about 4 years ago.

Price, We are open to offers north of 20K with the end result getting an Elise.

Yes, I can put the car back together, And it will run great, but do not think that much will be discounted because the car is apart. These are all new parts and with 5-10 hours of work, it will be running.
Reason for offering it now is that we would like to get an Elise before our Advanced Driving Day at the Glen on July 2nd. And I am sure there are guys out there that would rather put the motor together themselves.

And I have my Elan with the 26R body type fenders, with the rebuilt motor 180 compression motor and I am trying to get ready to sell and also my 1966 S2 DHC as well. I want to sell my Elans to bank roll my Caterham business. Too much to do and too little time. But that is separate from Ron's but If someone wants to give me 100K for all 3 Elans...hey I am interested, but that might be a bit high.

So that is what it is.
Email me at tvacc*at*lotusowners*dot*com if interested. or call me at 716-861-1412
Last edited by tvacc on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:37 am

Here is a pic of the car from last summer.
Attachments
100_1190.jpg and
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such thing as a S2 coupe.

There's an S2 + hardtop, or an S3 coupe... Looks like pre-airflow S3 from your pictures...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 am

I am sorry. It is a S3 66 Coupe. I was just checking to make sure you all were on the ball.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ps Elans always look nice in BRG
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:58 am

Could one of the moderators change the subject to " 1966 S3 Pre Airflow Coupe For Sale"

I tried.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: