1965 Elan LHD S2 For sale

PostPost by: Bob » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm

I have decided to sell my LHD Elan S2. I have three Elans and only garage space for two reluctantly my S2 has to go.
It needs some work doing on it but its far from a rebuild.
Before BDP.jpg and

This is it before I removed the Cosworth Engine.

I imported this car from the US some four years ago, it had a Cosworth 2 Ltr BDP engine fitted, I expect some of you can remember it being on this site for sale.

lotuselan-for-sale-f2/elan-with-cosworth-bdp-for-sale-t20303.html

I used it on and off for two years with the BDP it was fun but I could not use it for a day out. I took the BDP out and replaced it with a proper twin cam. (Rebuilt for me by Ken Myres.) If you are in the Lotus world you will know off Neil and Ken Myres.

The car has had ALL it's customs tax paid and is registered with the DVLA Re No F## ###C 1965 reg number

This is a Type 26 Elan 26/####

The BDP removal involved the removing of the existing dash with all its modern instruments. The ECU was removed and it's loom thus there is currently no dash only the custom one. I do however have all the original instruments with the speedo showing 55,000 miles the new speedo only 4000 on it so give or take the car has done about 60,000 miles.

The history prior to my ownership as far as I know is as follows:-
It was imported into the US in 1965 i have the invoice number confirmed by Lotus Cars. I dont know a great deal after that until the people I purchased it off. They seem to have bought it in boxes then completely rebuilt it I have lots of photos of that, it seems to be about 1988 to 1990 or so. They fitted a 1700cc tall block Twin Cam. I think from the invoices I have, the costs were in the region of $40,000 In that guise they seem to have covered about 2500 miles before replacing the twin cam with the 2 ltr BDP Engine.They only then covered a further 500 miles before I bought and added 1500 miles. I have only a vague idea of the cost of the conversion to the BDP but the total spend on the car must have been in the region of $100,000.

Its spec is currently:-
Spyder Space frame Chassis and suspension
Soild Drive Shafts
Panasport wheels and new Tyres.
Roll Over bar LHD
Twin Cam Engine
Pair of renovated 40DCOEs
Brake Proportioning Valve
Master Cut off Switch
Aluminum Radiator and Electric Fan
Aluminum Fuel tank.
Dry Cell Battery (Which need re positioning)
3.55 Diff
Sprint Front Brake Calipers.

Interior.
All the S2 door furniture is in very good condition no rust no pitting the chrome is just like new.
I has all been professionally carpeted and trimmed.
Most of the switches are there and the interior light
The original seats are no long there but I have a pair of quite good S4 seats that can go with it. (The US owner had a pair of custom seats made for it, its how you spend $100,000 I expect)

You will need a steering wheel and boss they are currently on my +2

Body
Paint work is excellent there are a couple of chips on the bonnet rim where I have lifted the bonnet at some point. There is a mark on the bottom of the front bumper and some repaint need on the front side light. I know what the paint is and I believe I have a little that came with the car and I have the label off the original tin.The rear arches are flared to take 185's. Normally flaring on an Elan looks awful but you can hardly see it on this Elan the workmanship is so good. Its indicative across the whole car.

Flared Arch.jpg and

Wheels are Panasport
Tyres as you can see are new.
The rear lights are perfect no pitting at all.

There are lots of other thing to list but if you are interested a conversation would be best.

Jobs to return it to the road.
You will need to decide whether to keep it LHD or RHD at this point its easy to do. I know where to source the RHD items you may need. Which are a RHD steering rack and pedal box. I have driven both LHD and RHD Elans, they are so narrow it makes not a lot of difference. Other may see it different.

You will need
Dash Board
Ignition circuit
Some Weber accelerator brackets and cable easily available items.
Exhaust 'Y' piece, pipe and silencer. The manifold is fitted.
Battery needs repositioning
Steering wheel and boss.
It will need a new soft top I have the rails and other S2 hood fitting. Hood body fastening will want fitting.
I have the old soft top you can use as a pattern.
I also have the original radiator that could be refitted, but I would leave the aluminum one already fitted, over heating with the BDP was never a problem.

I you want to know any more call me or email me [email protected] or 07970 973 942
I will eventually put it on Fleebay if nobody wants it. but I have no intention of giving it away its far to good for that.

Rebult Eng.jpg and

WebersRebult.jpg and

Window.jpg and

AllyTank.jpg and

dash removed.jpg and

Doortrim.jpg and
Last edited by Bob on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Did you encounter any problems with the DVLA regarding getting a registration with the correct year and did they insist on seeing the import paperwork?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi,
No problems from the DVLA they wanted to inspect the car and you need documents from Customs and Excise before it can be registered. My problems were initially with Customs but I appealed and won. The women who I first dealt with tried to pontificate without knowing what she was pontificating about. I won a serious battle for anybody who wants to import a 60's Elan.

The girl at the DVLA on the inspection was fine I told her what she had to look at she did not have a clue. Then its not a VW Golf or some odd Japanese thing which is what they are use to.
Bob
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 am

Hi Bob,
When I finish putting my car together I hope they won't want to inspect it as I would have to take it 300 miles to DVLA Swansea now they have closed all trheir offices around the country! I can't see why they should need to inspect a car that has an new MOT. William
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

Hi William,
Is this a vehicle you have imported? If its registered already with the DVLA then once MOT'd and insured it should appear on the DVLA web site. Have a look and see. Otherwise just fill in the form and register it.
Bob
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Bob,

What are you looking to get for the car as it is?

Can you elaborate a little on why you took the BDA out?

Was it just not running right?

Thanks,
Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:13 am

Hi Bob,
My car is a LHD and exported new to USA in 1970. The car was brought back to the UK about 20 years ago when the British owner moved back to the UK permanently. I don't think it was even registered in USA for road use as the car was being put together as a track car.
I received no paperwork with the car and I am converting it to RHD. My thoughts are that the DVLA will have no records of this car so my intention was to make out that the car was always RHD but never used on UK roads because it was for race purposes only.
I have a letter from Lotus cars just stating that the car was manufactured in 1970.
What I don't want to happen is be issued with a "Q" plate!! Also I don't want to get clobbered for import VAT.
What do you think?
Regards, William
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:50 am

Be prepared for a battle but with persistance you can win, it helps if some documentation can be "found" to verify your story but old enough so that its difficult to prove or disprove.

I think that it was in 2002 that I tried to register a 1987 built but never registered Caterham which was Lotus TC powered when I bought it, I had then converted it to bike engined propulsion, a real bitza.

I wanted to avoid the SVA and also to avoid a Q plate, it took a lot of effort and there was lots of backtracking and denial on the part of the DVLA, many pointless inspections, luckily my sister was a senior civil servant and advised me on their mentality and where to apply pressure within the organisation.

What should have been the easiest and most clear cut was the avoidance of an SVA test (scope of legislation vehicles under 10 years old) but it turned out to be the hardest stumbling block, if you need documentary evidence, cant recall the word in english, proof of something being done prior then I have it, that is to say I did eventually register a previously unregistered 1987 vehicle without SVA and not on a Q plate.

I believe the LHD/RHD thing is not an issue and you are distracting yourself with a red herring.

Once the SVA thing was out the way they wrote telling me that they had 2 options, to give the vehicle a new registration or an age related registration, and that after (several) inspection(s) they had deemed that the vehicle wasnt new (clever people eh :lol: ) and would therefore be issued with an appropriate age related plate :D

When the V5 finally arrived it had a new reg number and was described as new at date of registration :roll:

At the time I was delighted, I had on paper at least a new vehicle however lacking any information re emissions data etc it would probably be very difficult to get an MOT now (its on SORN) and were it to have an age related registration as it should then I would soon be able to register it here in France, another battle for the future with the DVLA and then the French fonctionnaires methinks.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 pm

bill308 wrote:Hi Bob,

What are you looking to get for the car as it is?

Can you elaborate a little on why you took the BDA out?

Was it just not running right?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,
I want ?17500 for it.
As for the BDA it was not a BDA but a BDP dry sump 2 ltr engine. I took it out because 245BHP is an awful lot and it scared the living daylights out of me. I was needlessly worried what happens if it goes wrong. The engine originally was a spare engine from a Miget racing team.
Its now sold and in some sort of Ford I understand.

BDP.jpg and

It is better with a Twin Cam.

I have added a photo of it with the BDP in also a photo of the car externally its still like that you just need to put a new dash in and the original instruments. It a really beautiful Elan.

BDP.jpg and

Bob
Attachments
S2.jpg and
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 am

William2 wrote:Hi Bob,
My car is a LHD and exported new to USA in 1970. The car was brought back to the UK about 20 years ago when the British owner moved back to the UK permanently. I don't think it was even registered in USA for road use as the car was being put together as a track car.
I received no paperwork with the car and I am converting it to RHD. My thoughts are that the DVLA will have no records of this car so my intention was to make out that the car was always RHD but never used on UK roads because it was for race purposes only.
I have a letter from Lotus cars just stating that the car was manufactured in 1970.
What I don't want to happen is be issued with a "Q" plate!! Also I don't want to get clobbered for import VAT.
What do you think?
Regards, William

William,
I have sent you an email,
Bob
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Bob.

Thanks for your reply and comments on the BDP.

I'm researching a similar engine for my S2 but with a LTC head. Where was the dry sump tank mounted?

Thanks again,
Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lottex » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 am

Hi, Bob, I know you said that you'd already sold the BDA, however, do you think there's any chance that the new owner might be tempted to sell it on...? May I ask, is the S2 still for sale? Thx Pete
lottex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LotusJovet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 am

HI BOB,
Is your car still for sale as I am looking for 1965 lhd? It is the year of my birth and I am pretty psychotic about it...
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Best Regards,
C Jovet
+ 33 670799309
LotusJovet
New-tral

Total Online: