1969 S4 Elan Coupe

PostPost by: craig chima » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 pm

I bought this car last December from Jim Gordon who many of you know well from this site. It is a beautifully restored coupe from top to bottom with new Spyder chassis and rebuilt twincam and transmission. All major suspension components were sandblasted or beadblasted as appropriate, cleaned, powdercoated, and re-installed on the chassis. It has new Spyder wishbones front and rear. Smaller 'bits' like bushings, trunions, bearings, tie rod ends, rubber boots, seals, etc. were all new and have less than 1000 miles since the restoration. The engine compartment is completely detailed, master cylinders and brake lines are new, radiator has been re-cored, gas tank is a new aluminum one and the chassis/underside of this car is considerably nicer than any Elan that ever left the factory! There is also a new exhaust system delivering the sweet twincam exhaust note.

Jim had the car set up and corner weighted by a race shop in Maryland, and with 30+ years of road race experience myself, I can tell you that the car drives and handles like a dream. Setup and alignment is perfect and it is ready to drive and enjoy.

Everything works in the interior and there is a new dash, crash pad, door panels, carpet, headliner, trim panels, and console. The seats are original and are in excellent condition (no tears or rips or wear).

The body was stripped down to the bare fiberglass and is now finished in BRG and while the paint is not perfect it is very, very nice. Easily a 9+ out of 10 and paint that will likely win honors at plenty of car shows.

Overall, this is about as nice of an Elan as you will find these days. Spyder chassis, handles great, looks great, runs great and ready to enjoy. The car has Yokohama Advan 175 x 60 R13 tires with probably 1000 total miles on them. Jim told me that he had close to $50K in the project when all was said and done (I know what it takes to restore one of these cars and I have a file folder of his receipts and while I haven't totaled them up I'm sure it is close). I have $32,500 in the car and that is what I am looking to get out of it. Car is in Akron, OH. Craig Chima (330) 807-0742 or [email protected]
Attachments
016 (2).jpg and
001 (2).jpg and
Elan_27 (2).jpg and
DSC05743.JPG and
DSC05751.JPG and
DSC05752.JPG and
DSC05750.JPG and
DSC05748.JPG and
DSC05747.JPG and
DSC05745.JPG and
Last edited by craig chima on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
craig chima
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:36 pm

pictures look great! :wink:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I saw this car at Craig's shop - very nice, just as he described.
Attachments
DSC02670.JPG and
DSC02669.JPG and
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: craig chima » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks, Mike. I think I fairly represented the car in my original description and have now posted some pix in the original post (all I needed was a teenager to help!). As you can see in those pix, the headlights are in the 'up' position and ever since I purchased the car from Jim the headlights would creep back "up" 5 or 10 minutes after the car was turned off after it had been run. Today was the first time I started the car for roughly 3 weeks as I'd fried a Pertronix module and was waiting for a new one and when I fired it up the headlights failed to go "down" and I didn't have time to diagnose the problem before getting to the pictures. Hopefully in the next day or two. The only other "issue" I can comment on with regard to the car is that the parking brake is not currently installed but other than that everything is good to go. As mentioned in the original post, it was truly a "nut and bolt" restoration and I do have most of Jim's original "build" pictures and am happy to forward to any interested parties. Craig
craig chima
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: craig chima » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm

A couple of people have inquired about "trades" for the coupe and about the only thing I would consider is an original Lotus 7 or relatively new Caterham (probably '98 or newer, ideally with Zetec). For those on the forum who know me, know that I've raced and prepped 7's and Caterhams for the past 15 years. I sold my Caterham street car in order to buy this car and really miss not having a "7" type street car so that is the only reason this car is up for sale. But beyond something along these lines I'm fairly certain that I'd "pass" on any potential trade suggestions. Craig
craig chima
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: craig chima » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Bump. Price reduced to $31K. I'd really like to get the car sold and create some additional shop space for customer projects. Craig
craig chima
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: zog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Somebody buy this car so I can post my Elan Coupe for a higher price. :)
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Humberto machado » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Quite interested, [email protected] . Ready to make offer, in miami,fl. Was going to get a Ginetta g4 but this car is fantastic.
Humberto machado
New-tral

PostPost by: foggy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Nice car.
Someone will purchase it.
I need that alternator setup. Please someone mention the source and maker, etc. Thanks, all. PM would be fineif I can find it).
foggy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Visit rdent.com for the alternator.
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Humberto machado » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Before I do something silly like get a mini Marcos, would like to buy your elan , [email protected], or cell 3059269921.
Anyone seen that ?lan on New England classics?
Humberto machado
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:37 am

Humberto machado wrote:Anyone seen that ?lan on New England classics?

ER how can I put this delicately... Greg Chima & NECC are world's apart... do a google search on NECC & you will see what I mean.

The S4 bitsa recently listed by NECC was totally mis-represented as a Sprint.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Craig,

If I had the money and the space, this car would be mine!

I would have to ask forgiveness of the CFO (SHE who must be obeyed!). Easier to ask forgiveness than permission!
I simply cannot believe this car has not sold yet. It is beautiful.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Humberto machado » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Ready whenever you are Chima, Are you out of town? thanks
Humberto machado
New-tral

PostPost by: Humberto machado » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Spoke with Chima, super nice guy, very ethical.
Humberto machado
New-tral

Next

Total Online: