Enjoying The View

PostPost by: elan_fan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:22 pm

I have just finished fitting the head back on my car after a protracted period of maintainance the rad is back in, new hoses, everything painted the correct colours, shiny bolts etc. and I realised sad chap that I am that the thing I need is a transparent perspex bonnet :P like you used to have on some matchbox cars when I was a kid (that would be now then according to my wife) I wonder if it would be possible to make one using an old bonnet as a buck, whadaya think? or should I just run without the bonnet :D cos that twincam is such a work of art.

straight jacked being sent shortly

Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:27 pm

maybe that's part of the reason we like to work on 'em as well as drive.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:03 pm

Great Idea! Maybe even a money maker! I would think many car nutz would go for something like that....Alfa comes to mind first..... Do you have a flat bonnet? I think it might be quite easy, knowing what clear sheeting to use is the trick. If you do have Weber or Dellorto you could take a spare bulged bonnet, (more common here in the States, I just sold one for $62 on ebay,) cut out the bulk of the top, leave a frame, attach magically, I'm thinking glue, and bingo. You got me thinking... and... I mail ordered for my straight jacket.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brian wilson » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:00 pm

Thats why i am having a twin cam built to support a piece of glass for a coffee table!!
brian wilson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:31 pm

Brian,

Slightly different scenario but that brings back memories. First rebuild was done at home when living with my parents in the early '70s. They were on holiday when I needed a clean dry place to store the completed head while working on the bottom end. Coffee table...living room....yes!

Parents arrive back early.....Impressed with my mechanical skills? I think not!
:angry:
Roy
'65S2

PS. Seem to remember someone with a chassis hung from the ceiling. Any other Lotus artwork out there?
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:26 am

c'mon guys,,,,lotusartwork, who's done what?

I'll go first, I have a collage of old photos, arranged in a 2'x4' poster...

If you think about it a well hung naked Elan chassis is ripe for interpretation in the art world...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:57 am

I'm the guy with the naked Elan Chassis hanging from the roof in my house. I am not sure if the art world is ready for it but it sure gets a lot of comments from visitors. Most cant believe how simple and lightweight it is.

I painted it blue and as it hovers above the kitchen. It has some low voltage downlights mounted on the bottom chassis centre section flange for the kitchen lighting.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:38 pm

It just sprung to my mid that Jo Bonnier (race car driver from Sweden during the fifties and sixties, aka Barbita) had a McLaren formula one car hung up instead of a huge painting in his livingroom... Actually one of the ars he had driven an won a GP with... Anyone remembering the guy more than me?

//Jens - lacking time for his Elan
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:42 pm

Do I remember Jo Bonnier. Very much a blast from the past. He may even have driven an early Honda F1. However have a look at:
<a href='http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-bonjo.html' target='_blank'>http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-bonjo.html</a> for a little more history.

You're in my era guys!

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:34 pm

Hamish. You are the kind of guy I am impressed of. Do you have any clue as to why he always had a beard? *smilingly*

//Jens - always interested in people with the same frenzy for racing historics as himself...
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:16 pm

Jens,

No idea why he had a beard. Maybe he just didn't like shaving!

Guess that's why I have a Lotus. Jim Clark, in my view the best F1 driver of all time (a fellow Scot) was my hero and I still go on an annual pilgrimage to his museum in Duns a small town in Berwickshire, Scotland. I think the Lotus 49 was THE best looking F1 car. None of these nasty angular winged things, just pure clean lines. The racing then was really close and the power slides stunning.
Historic racing is still exciting. The sound of a cosworth DFV with open pipes under full throttle is just incredible. Same goes for the likes of an historic GT40 at Le Mans. Can't wait until next year and more historic stuff.

Hamish

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: