Carpet sets Elan S4SE

PostPost by: Beecrofti » Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:31 am

Has anyone purchased carpet sets recently?
If so , are you happy with the quality and fit?
Are they glued in place or press studs.
I want to get this right and would consider fitting myself if it means I get the right in quality.
The current carpets have been press studded in place which leaves wide gaps and does not look professional.
I can see a lot of old threads on the forum but nothing new

Many thanks
Beecrofti
New-tral

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:10 pm

If the carpets are in pretty good shape why not unclip the press studs and resite them so the carpets fit correctly. The studs are basically just a ring with two or three prongs that push through the carpet and bent back over, they are easily available if you break or want to replace them, try Sue Miller, eBay or Bresco.com, here is a link to the latter,

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Carpet-Fasteners.html

Most of the trim suppliers keep them and are usually referred to as carpet rings.

Where about's are you in Devon as I am in Cornwall
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Beecrofti » Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:50 pm

Thanks, the carpets in most cases are shot. So I think it is best to replace them and the underlay.
I live in mid Devon, Crediton area.
I am fortunate to have Sj sports cars on my doorstep.
I have requested a parts booklet from Sue Miller and will check the link you sent me.
I will request samples so I am not getting a suprise when they arrive.
Thanks
Beecrofti
New-tral

PostPost by: smo17003 » Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:15 pm

I still have the instruction sheet for my S4 FHC carpets that were supplied by Sue Miller. All parts of the carpet are glued down, excluding the heel mat carpets, which are secured by 4 studs. The only part of the carpet set that had bound edges were the heel mats, all of the rest were just straight cut edges. The carpet was not to original quality standard. I believe that there are topics on here regarding original spec carpet material availability (or non-availability). I think Sue's may have come from Coverdale, but I'm just guessing.
You do need to use quite a bit of contact adhesive to fix them in place. I think I used 2 litres of Evo-Stik Timebond. Don't try using spray adhesive; it's not strong enough. I might even have used 3 litres when you include the underfelt.
I think next time I would buy a roll of better quality carpet, and have a go at doing my own using paper templates.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Beecrofti » Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Thank you for your response, the last time I did this was 40 years ago in a S3 when I cut and fit a lovely quality wool carpet.

I was concerned that the sets may not be of the same quality. All respect to the suppliers.

Base on the CAD drawing on this forum I think I will do the same again.

Thanks for all the info on glue.
Beecrofti
New-tral

Total Online: