ELAN S3 Restoration, Before and After- the story continues

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:30 am

Hello Lotus friends,

Well, I had so much fun working on my Plus 2 and posting progress updates, I wanted to continue the effort. I received a lot of great feedback on that restoration effort, and the thread has been viewed 20,000 times. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53498

But the "Plus 2" is done, and I'll be taking it to a car show next weekend. After it was completed I was left trying to figure out next steps. I needed an objective/ goal. It is important to note, when you get this feeling, you should never go onto Bring a Trailer.

Over Memorial day, I bid on a 67 Elan S3 DHC. It was previously owned 51 years until the owners' passing at age 91. It was the previous owners' pride and joy. As a matter of fact the owner maintained handwritten logs of all maintenance and troubleshooting performed from 1982-2016. Amazing. I thought this was a great S3 example, when I saw it on BaT, and for some reason my bid held up as the auction drew to a close. So, next I drove up June 24 from NC to Cape Cod to retrieve it. I squeezed my other cars together in the garage, to make room for the new , albeit small, addition to the family.

There was a lot of built in goodness to this car. The owner put in a replacement Spyder chassis, hi torque starter, CV joint upgrade kit, electronic ignition, fresh brakes, cartridge-type water pump, alternator upgrade, neg ground conversion kit, etc etc. However, contrary to the auction description, the car did not run. As a matter of fact, I had a small, sustained fuel fire at the first start attempt, at the carb inlet. Scary.

My friends called it an "external combustion engine.."
-Which is very clever, if its not your car that's about to burn up..

So now, the Weber carbs are out for cleaning, repair, refurbishment.
Working on setting the valve clearances. Added a fresh fuel tank, gathering parts,
and dismantling the whole thing for painting. I will keep you posted on progress. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Cheers, Mike
Attachments
IMG_5710.jpg and
IMG_5716.jpg and
IMG_6826.jpg and
IMG_6824.jpg and
Last edited by mjbeanie on Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:44 am

Thats a great start off write up to the begining of the adventure Mike. I love it when there is a complete resto underway on LE.Net and the owner bothers to put pen to paper. Doesn't happen often and takes a lot of effort, so thank you.

Re the fire, was the carb airbox fitted complete, or how / why did it start? I met an Elan owner recently who was running their car without an airbox. When I pointed out that that was quite dangerous, they looked as me as if I did not know what I was talking about. After hearing their explanation, I just walked away.

Please dont re paint it that colour scheme. The green is okay, but the stripe, nah. What was the original colour?

Good luck with it.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:07 pm

I saw the car in person a few weeks ago and it looks like a great project. Can't wait to see the progress!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wdb » Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:28 pm

Yikes on the fire! Glad it didn't become serious. I am the new owner of an old Elan as well and will be watching your thread with interest!
wdb
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:51 pm

Hi Mike,
Further to Mikes comments above, Weber carburettors frequently spit fuel out of the air intake if not quite tuned properly. Also when running they can have a fuel mist cloud just outside the air intake trumpet.
If you fit pancake type filters I have heard that these can become saturated with fuel and can be a serious fire risk.
The standard airbox with remote filter and air intake contains both these occurrences and is safer to use.
looks like a good project and it is wonderful to have all that history,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:19 pm

Thanks for the comments! Yes I did have the airbox off at the time. This car may have sat in the garage for years. I am not sure how much it was driven by the previous owner, as time went on. The condition of the fuel system was unknown. Of course, I had to give it a try, once I was back home.
I guess my plan backfired... literally.
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ill_will » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:29 pm

Hi Mike,

Looks like a great project. I hope you find time to update here on your efforts and progress - who doesn't love a build thread?

Cheers,

Will
ill_will
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:35 pm

The second photo shows the same problem that my S4 on a Spyder chassis had; the propshaft access hole is now in the wrong place. I fibreglassed mine up and then cut a new hole a few inches forward.
Godd luck with your new project.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:37 pm

Thank you, I will move the access port as noted. Here are some disassembly photos, that may be of interest. Still deciding on the planned colour. Very fond of the 1960's Avengers, and Mrs Peel of course, so I was considering the Jaguar Opalescent Silver blue, for your consideration. (pictured below)

Progress has been limited to parts cleaning, parts buying. The carbs should be completed soon, so I can get back to engine work. I plan to clean up the floor next, and apply sound proofing material. An very nice dashboard, and Pirelli tires have been received, along with many of the interior bits. Most of the electrics appear in general working order. An window motor upgrade is planned to replace the 50+ year old motors. A set of original seats to be delivered in October. I am just very glad the wiring seems to be serviceable. (Installing a full wiring suite on the Plus 2, was more complicated than planned.) Cheers, more to follow.
Attachments
IMG_6851.jpg and
IMG_6848.jpg and
IMG_6220 3.jpg and
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: