Help in driving position and gear change

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:04 am

Hi all,
I think I posted this in the wrong place.

Been about 20 years since I drove an Elan Sprint. Last time (2004) is when I bought back my Sprint from Bill R and drove it from from Seattle in an attempt to get to Buffalo NY. (via Louisville KY where my brother lives) Only made it to Kansas City.

I drove my recently acquired Sprint to work today. Only about 2 miles. It all seemed different to me. The steering wheel was too far away. Not a lot but I noticed it. Can that be moved?

My right leg was bent up, with my foot at a weird angle because the accelerator pedal was so high. But my left leg was straight down when I pushed in the clutch.

And the last thing is the shifter is not as crisp and direct as I remember. I seem to recall there is a cap at the bottom of the shifter that sometimes comes loose.

Any ideas welcome.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:00 am

I would suggest rebleed the Clutch.
Maybe it will help the gearchange.
For the wheel position don't forget the Clamps that hold the front of Seat frame to floor, two positions for Clamps.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:21 am

'My right leg was bent up, with my foot at a weird angle because the accelerator pedal was so high. But my left leg was straight down when I pushed in the clutch'

Have you considered the possibility that one of your legs is longer than the other? I have heard that you have doctors over there for every part of the human anatomy, eg eye doctor. Why not consult the leg doctor.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:30 am

The gear change stick's bush could be worn out. The usual suppliers should have the bush.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:28 pm

Clutch is fine. I think it might be the bushing. It wobbles a bit. Seat is on the the forward mounting position. That's where I have always had it in past Elan's. I have owned more than I can count on two hands.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:53 pm

the pedals resting point can be adjusted (a bit - I like to have them level so that there is no lost time from one to the other, and set for the occasionnal toe-heel), and the steering wheel too, to a small extent, if it has the collapsible column. The pedal stop would need to be adjusted accordingly, too.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:14 pm

The seats can be placed into positions, sound like yours has the seat in front channel in the floor. The seat adjuster provides fine tune. Two clamps under front of seat are easily accessed to adjust.
The accelerator position can be adjusted via the cable, it maybe you have a non standard cable. If correct all three paddle should be in same plane.
Finally the column can be moved by releasing the steering shaft clamp and the outer column clamps. From mid point of steering shaft clamp you have approx 2”” to bring it further toward or away from driver.
All easily achieved.
I’m 6’4” I’ve done 700 mile days in my elan in comfort. I find seats to be very supportive backrest angle and blosters just right.
With a couple hours easy work I’m sure you’ll find your sweet spot
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:09 am

Thanks, yes I have driven many miles in my other Elan's. From Seattle to Kansas City in the 72 Sprint I sold in 2004. Then I drove my S3 Elan built by Spyder all over the north east USA. I had that car for more than 15 years. That is why I noticed this one. It was just different. I will try thos things tomorrow.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:33 pm

Been working on all this using the great recommendations from you all. Adjusted the throttle cable and it is more like I remember it
Now it is workable. That allowed me to take the seat up a notch, which helped the driving position. Now I will work on the shifter issue.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:53 pm

I have for me the original Lotus Steering Wheel on my Sprint.
But i have fitted a Mota Lita leather covered wheel black spokes. More comfortable really nice.
You could do the same and choose flat or dished to change the distance.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:14 pm

I did the same on my Sprint. Fitted a Momo Prototipo, black leather covered and slightly
smaller diameter, than stock.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: