Elan S3 1966 FHC

PostPost by: Frampty » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Have had a problem with a door rattling ,replaced the glass guides but now need to replace the electric window cable and rollers. Having trouble releasing the cable clamp don’t want to break the glass . Any tips how to how to release the cable.
Frampty
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi Frampty,
Carefully cut or grind away the old clamp screw and then buy two of my clamp screws from Sue Miller. The design removes the risk of breaking the glass on assembly.
Sorry, but I had to get that in. It is too late at night to find a photo, but can do it tomorrow if you wish.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frampty » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:39 am

Thanks for your reply it’s a little worrying cutting the cable bolt but will try have already contacted Sue Miller .
Cheers Geoff
Frampty
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:47 am

Hi Geoff.
The old fashioned way of dealing with scary and difficult jobs is to go away from it for a bit or do it tomorrow.
It works well and you will have devised another way of doing it by then.
I do it a lot. Brew time is also known as thinking time.
Good luck
Eric.
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frampty » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Hi Eric managed to do the cable from the glass today and ordered the window parts.
Regards Geoff
Frampty
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:06 pm

Hi Geoff,
Well done. I also have a rattling door and I am interested to learn what you did to cure it. Mine is no better with the window up or down or wedged to prevent it moving.
I have had lots of attempts to fix it but with no result yet. What I have not done is strip the door down, but I can see that coming soon. Any suggestions will be welcome.
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:35 pm

On my car, the rattle was the window motor vibrating, both sides. With the door card removed , I could tap on the lower frame and replicate the rattle.

There are several solutions , such as making a support brace, or adding a little closed cell foam around it.

I converted to the modern style motors, which are much lighter (and faster) , and also vibrate less.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: