PostPost by: cdingram » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:15 am

Hi all,

I have recently joined this group as I am interested in buying a Lotus Elan DHC (either S3 or S4). I will be going to see one next weekend, reg no CSW 782E.

Does anyone have any history on the car, as the garage I am dealing with says there is very little?

I can see from some of the chats that roscoP (Ross), used to own this car but unfortunately I am unable to message him as the forum doesn't allow me to, as I haven't been a Member long enough :-(

Any help or advise you can provide would be very useful.

Thanks

Chris
cdingram
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:33 pm

Hello Chris
Welcome to the forum.
You are doing the correct thing by trying to find the history about the car. Hopefully Ross will pick up this message.
First bit of advice don't rush into buying a Lotus that Lotus will most likely still be there next week. They are not that rare so there will always be others.
Where is the car located as there may be a local forum member who could check it out or supply the advert link and we can give you an opinion.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:38 pm

Welcome aboard Chris.

Another top tip. I think private messaging turns on after you make three or so forum posts. Put a couple of replies on this thread and hopefully a PM will work.

All the best in the search. They are marvellous cars.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cdingram » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:30 am

cliveyboy wrote:Hello Chris
Welcome to the forum.
You are doing the correct thing by trying to find the history about the car. Hopefully Ross will pick up this message.
First bit of advice don't rush into buying a Lotus that Lotus will most likely still be there next week. They are not that rare so there will always be others.
Where is the car located as there may be a local forum member who could check it out or supply the advert link and we can give you an opinion.
Clive

Hi Clive,

The car is being sold by a dealer in Kent, links as follows:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1723898
https://anthonygodin.co.uk/car/lotus-elan-s3-s-e-dhc/

I've checked the chassis and engine number and they check out on the Elan registry.
cdingram
New-tral

PostPost by: cdingram » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:31 am

stugilmour wrote:Welcome aboard Chris.

Another top tip. I think private messaging turns on after you make three or so forum posts. Put a couple of replies on this thread and hopefully a PM will work.

All the best in the search. They are marvellous cars.

HTH

Stu

Thanks Stu. I'm able to end private messages now :D
cdingram
New-tral

PostPost by: RoscoP » Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:26 pm

I've sent you a pm Chris!
Ross
RoscoP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:10 pm

Welcome Chris,
That S3 looks a nice car at a reasonable price, I doubt it will sell quickly so there’s time to research it properly and perhaps get some expert advice to look it over properly before purchase.

I can’t see where Godwin cars are situated, but they appear to be in Kent? If that’s the case I could meet you there for a viewing. Although I’m not a total expert on original cars I can spot a wrongun from a long way off.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:32 am

Looks like a recent resoration to me. I'd say (based on others I've seen) the price is about right, if everything checks out ok. Good luck!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:13 am

Welcome Chris!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: