Hitchin' a Ride- Transporting an Elan-guidance requested.

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:37 am

Hello again fellow Lotus enthusiasts,

Well I finished up my Plus 2 in this thread, (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53498 )but I still had Lotus fever. I thought I might to try restoring an Elan. So, I am now the owner of a 67 Elan S3 DHC.
I am making preparations to go to Cape Cod, retrieve it and trailer it home to NC. So I am "Bringing a Trailer" (which is incidentally where the car came from.)

My question is what are the best appropriate tie down points on the Elan. I am doing my own transporting job this time around, and haven't really determined the best way to secure it to this super-sized trailer, I am renting. The trailer "D" securing rings are very far forward. The aft rings are not that far. I thought I would ask the community on their towing/trailering experiences and suggestions.

Thank you for the assistance. (Any available photos showing a secured/tied down Elan, would be very much appreciated.) Thanks again,
Cheers
MIke
Attachments
IMG_5113.jpg and
IMG_5271.jpg and
IMG_5274.jpg and
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
'67 Elan S3 DHC
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:29 am

The Elan is a bit short of good tie down points.

Its tough to do on the original steel wheels, but you seem to have aftermarket wheels fitted - if the holes are big enough you can pass the straps through the holes in the wheels. Its what I do on the car I race(d).

Good luck, it looks a nice car.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:21 am

I put straps aroun the lower front arms and rear arms at the outer ends on my Elancompetition car when trailering to race meetings

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:51 am

2” webbing ratchet, just the webbing through or around the wheels
Cross bridal

Nice wheels btw
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:54 pm

Over the top of the tires straight down to the trailer. You get the mechanical advantage of the wheel diameter reducing the load by half, and you've doubled your strap. Watch how the pros now do it next time you see them on the highway. John
Last edited by baileyman on Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:59 pm

I once put the strap though the hole in the rim, not many miles before the strap was cut though.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:15 pm

David1953 wrote:I once put the strap though the hole in the rim, not many miles before the strap was cut though.

Correct, metal can be sharp. If you have movement (your not meant to) on the vehicle or straps are not taut.

Compressing the suspension, reduces movement. - Why vehicles have car carrier tie down points. Compressing tyres onto trailer deck sort of does the same (notice all recovery vehicles strap tyres but recommended literature says carrier tie-downs), but not quite. Cross-bridal every time.

If you cross from the inner lower A arms you cant do too much better, but…

Remember, more important is if you get into a head-on and the car comes into the back of you. So make sure your strapping holding the car from going forward is skookum.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: