Elan Mods update

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu May 02, 2024 12:43 am

I put this up on one of the FB pages, so I apologize if you have seen it.

Update on my Elan modifications.

It is running/driving fantastically, with smooth acceleration and lots of power.
1. Distributorless ignition with DTAFast control- I did some ignition map changing, now that the Throttle position sensor is working (the wiring loom was incorrect). Certainly distributor works fine, but I like it much better not having it under the carbs, higher output and much more control.

2. ElanTrikbits CV axles. They are great, much much smoother than the rotoflex and I don’t worry about them breaking.

3. Electric water pump. Yes, original is fine- BUT I was not very certain of the condition and I’ve changed in the car before and didn’t want to again. Plus more control over temperature. With new radiator (twin fans) it tends to overcool a little in cold weather and hiway speeds. But better than too hot. Still tweaking settings a little, but heater works well. One fan is controlled by thermoswitch in radiator, other by Davis Craig controller. I could have both controlled by the same, but sort of liked the redundancy.

4. Exhaust. Not a mod, but replaced the entire works with stainless since it was sort of a hodgepodge before. Quiet but still very nice sound. No leaks.

5. Carbs. I have an O2 sensor mounted in dash (where radio would go) and that has made it a LOT easier to dial in the jetting. It is slightly richer than I would like for cruising (about 13-13.5) but pretty close and (so far) if I go any leaner the 2100-2500 area gets a very lean area that causes improper running. Changing idle jets and e-tubes and testing different ones with various combos has seemed to work. Full throttle always was pretty darn close (~12:1).

I like woking on things like this and all the modifications are fully reversable with minimal work. I added a relay/fusebox for running all the new stuff- so no changes in original wiring and things like fans, ignition etc are no longer running through the keyswitch.

The stock powdercoated wheels still look great (took off the +2 wheels that were too wide) and I like the Pirellis. Even though I would have liked a little narrower (not avaliable in the States).

Great fun.
Attachments
IMG_8238.jpeg and
IMG_8242.jpeg and
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu May 02, 2024 5:51 pm

Lotus 54,

If you like mods and are an inveterate fiddler, introduce yourself to Keith Franck of sidedraft central in San Francisco. Keith has spent years working on improvements to Webber DCOE carburettors and may be able to help with the tune of your carbs.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu May 02, 2024 6:47 pm

Thanks!
Yes, I cannot help myself, I like trying new things. Sometime work well, sometimes not
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: