Plus 2 brake upgrade

PostPost by: shaun » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm

Having fitted plus 2 carriers discs and calliper I’m finding callipers are touching inside hubs any ideas? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5213.jpeg and
shaun
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 pm

taken from TTR website …

PLUS 2 ELAN BRAKE CONVERSION INSTRUCTION NOTES.

This conversion is extremely worthwhile as it it transforms the braking and improves the balance of brakes front to rear. In standard form the Elan is over braked at the rear.
However as with many standard and modified parts for the Elan it is the classic case of squeezing a quart into a pint pot so some modifications may be needed.
Customers may need professional help with this installation.
The suggested fit up procedure is as follows.
Carefully and gently fit the parts and see if on your car there are any clearance problems or interferences.
If the the track rod ends are too close to the disc then carry out the the modification done to the 26R Elan for the Girling AR caliper, Large 26R disc and Caliper Bracket fitment.
See separate instruction sheet.
If the caliper is too close to the wheel or interferes then carefully with an angle grinder and a fine to medium sanding disc chamfer the outside edge of the caliper just sufficient for clearance. The Plus 2 caliper has very thick wall castings which allow this.
If the cast iron hub interferes then you can have a suitable chafer or radius machined on it using a lathe. Your local machine shop can do this.
When you are happy with your clearances the bolt everthing up together tightly.
pabbage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:15 pm

When I did the same conversion I was ok on clearances, it was very, very tight but not touching. It might be down to something as simple as the casting on the caliper bodies that you use, after so long and no doubt numerous production runs and rebuilds it wouldn't surprise me if there are differences.

If mine had been rubbing then I would have shaved a bit off the caliper body to give local clearance as indicated in the TTR instructions, there's plenty of metal in that area. I think I'd do that rather than take metal off the hub or drive pegs.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:14 am

So you have the felt hub seal in place?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:48 am

Is this upgrade on an Elan or Plus2?
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 am

I understand it's fitting +2 P16 calipers to a baby. I did this to my Sprint no problems imho a good cheap upgrade.
Maybe there are some different models of P16 calipers.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:37 am

alan.barker wrote:Maybe there are some different models of P16 calipers.
Alan

Well there's certainly metric & Imperial brake pipe fittings as I found out when I realised mine were metric and I'd made up the new sections with Imperial. :roll:

Also when looking for calipers I found there are some for Ford which looked the same but had different mounting PCDs, from memory I think it was a bit wider and so the Triumph mounting plates wouldn't fit.
Brian
Last edited by UAB807F on Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:02 pm

Took a look at both parts books for the Elan and the Plus2. I would appear the there are 2 different part numbers for the bracket that fits between the brake caliper and the upright. You may need to do further investigation and possibly try to find this part that was used on the Triumph GT6. This may be the solution to your clearance problems.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:41 am

I’ve done this swap in past and depending on wheels had to grind a small area at angle off the caliper housing to clearance.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: