Any thoughts?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966- ... n-coupe-2/
'70 S4 Elan - Cosworth BDP & Spyder Chassis
'62 S2 Super Seven Cosworth
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

I thought it was a really nice build with a great motor. The parts that went into the build are the best bits available. However, at the end of the day, it was an Elan S3 coupe with a BDG engine that unfortunately puts it in vintage race groups with newer prototypes and ex IMSA Porsches. If it had been an authentic 26R with a 1600 twincam and verified history, it would have brought much more.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 am

It looks like a very high quality build.

Given that none of it is standard and cost does not seem to have been a restraining factor, it seems a surprising choice to have a mechanical fuel injection system instead of EFI.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 pm

I 100% agree with both of you.

Obviously, I think an Elan with a BD is a fun car (I have one), but that engine really limits what vintage orgs will allow it and where you could use it. If they'll take an engine swapped car, it seems that EFI (or DCOEs) would be allowed also. Which would also avoid that hood bulge.

Frankly, despite it being a collection of very nice parts, I'm happily shocked that it brought as much as it did.
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:36 pm

The motor was worth $30k or more.

It was a lovely build. $47k doesn't begin to recoup the cost. AS the others have said, it would be hard to find a place to run that car. Would be a hoot.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:10 am

there has been a number of BDG mods over the years: do they often use this kind of cable driven injection pump setup on top of the block ? a side - and sad - consequence of this implementation is the bulge added on top of the bonnet, damaging the line of the car...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: disquek » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:29 pm

The mechanical injection seen on that engine is what one would call "period correct".

There are many options including EFI and Weber DCOEs that would eliminate the mechanical injection pump cable (and thus the hood bulge). I mentioned this in an earlier post.

Who knows? Maybe the builder liked the period correct mechanical injection? Maybe it was a compromise required by the vintage racing org they ran with? Like you, I would try hard to remove it. It's awful to tune, and the hood bulge is unattractive.
disquek
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: