Ricky Evans as a windscreen source

PostPost by: JerryBoone » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:24 am

I'm looking at doing a small buy of windscreen from Ricky Evans Motorsports in England. I need a new one for an S4 and a friend needs a couple for a pair of S3 projects. We can combine the order and cut down on the per-windshield cost of shipping (which to the USA is mind-blowing and is roughly three times the cost of the glass).

It will be a while before I'm ready to place the order, in the meantime, does anyone have any observations they would like to share on the quality of the product from Ricky Evans?

So far, I've been very happy with the e-mail response from the business.

Thanx
JerryBoone
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:47 am

Just got a new one from the US usual suspects, and I was leery enough with it being shipped from the East Coast to Texas much less than coming from England, so I’d certainly caution you, I do buy a lot of other things from the UK. Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:29 pm

Short answer/suggestion is to check with Ray & George at RD Enterprises first, and if you can’t get what you need the UK supplier is fine but a bit involved.

I think that is the supplier the Lotus Car Club of BC used about two years ago for a group buy. I understand windshields were not readily available at the time our side of the pond. At any rate, the process went OK and we got a bunch of screens. I was not directly involved in the ordering, shipping, splitting, and repackaged process, but it was definitely a bit of effort, so huge props to the club member that took point and another member that kindly transported mine over the Continental Divide.

The Plus 2 windshield I received was fine to my eye. My installer was able to put it in the car using the existing gaskets, even though we had new ones to hand.

Unfortunately it was taken out with a giant crack on my first big trip of the year. :(

After a lot of hunting last year I found a dusty old stock replacement in California. I couldn’t even get them to ship it to Montana because the shipper they actually trust for glass doesn’t go there. Ended up being shipped to Washington state and I picked it up, brokered it across the border, and drove it over the hump myself. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. :D

When I dropped the new windshield off with my installer, he said this one was superior to the last one, but I really don’t know what the difference is. I have not had the new screen installed yet as I want to redo my headliner first.

Anyway, my understanding is Ray is working the windshield issue now, so I would definitely check with him first. I may be wrong, but I think Bean and JAE have got out of the windshield game due to the shipping hassle.

Here are copies of two messages Ray sent out regarding windshields. The first is from June last year when he was ordering a bunch, and the latest one in December with a status update. Honestly not sure if he ordered some for stock, but looks promising.

HTH
Attachments
15F00E37-327E-4ECB-87A6-B0FAFE7FEC06.jpeg and
December 2023 update from RD Enterprises
D4CE43E5-485F-43FB-B4E9-77858D222CE5.jpeg and
June 2023 RD Enterprises update
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: yellowS4 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:19 am

Hi Jerry
Ricky Evans has my vote-
Bought a laminated screen off Ricky for our S4 about 2 years ago and can't fault it, fitted up spot on and appears to be a decent glass, it doesn't scratch easy or anything like some screens do and is a nice smooth curve not like some of those corrugated things you see---I'm in Tasmania off the bottom of Australia and was worried about damage getting freighted half way around the planet but was assured it would be ok--It came in a decent sized cardboard box and was packed in securely by them self forming/setting plastic packing bags - couldn't have asked for better service- He hunted around and got the best freight deal for me and kept me well informed on what the choices were and who he recommend---I asked that he did a thorough inspection of the screen before it got packaged and he was more than happy to do that ,both for my benefit and his.-- Just one recommendation from me,--Don't buy more screens than you plan using in the shortish future--I'd had a brand new genuine screen (Royal Doulton brand from memory) stashed away for years and when we got it out to fit it ,it had delaminated-sitting in the dark in a cupboard, it just peeled apart like 2 seperate screens---anyway, yes I recommend Ricky Evans for his product and his service--
yellowS4
New-tral

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:54 pm

Quick followup. For reference, here is what is stencilled on the Ricky Evans Plus 2 windshield I got thru our club.
Attachments
6A3FAC7B-0B78-4FB4-8E36-174C21779AEC.jpeg and
Stencil on the centre of windshield at the lower edge.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:39 pm

DONGGUAN KONG WAN AUTOMOBILE GLASS LTD
http://dkg.com.cn
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:50 pm

I thought we were down to one supplier in the world for classic glass....Pilkington....Appears that the Asians have gotten into the business. Considering other experiences I'm not entirely sure that is a good thing. :roll:

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JerryBoone » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm

Last January I asked for any history members had on Ricky Evans as a glass supplier. Those who answered the actual question generally had good things to say about him. Today, I add my endorsement.

Two friends and I went together and ordered five S3/4 windscreens, to be delivered to Portland, Oregon. By combining our orders we were able to spread the high cost of shipping over five windscreens, making them highly affordable.

They arrived packed securely in a heavy cardboard box, which was then protected by a strongly-built wooden pallet container. I examined the glass this morning and everything seems to be in perfect condition.

Dan, at Ricky Evans, was great to deal with, helping me navigate some of the ins and outs of importing from England. It didn't go seamlessly, but that was the fault of Air Canada, not Ricky Evans.

Lastly, yes, they are of Asian manufacture...but I picked them up driving a Hyundai, so I'm not overly concerned.
The final test will come in a couple weeks when I get around to replacing the heavily stone chipped one in my car with one of the new ones.
JerryBoone
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

Another Plus 1 for Ricky Evans. He was able to supply a windshield for my Sabra GT. Well packaged and passed through customs with little disruption. Only problem was, I had to wait 2 years for him to get enough orders to run a batch of ten. Who knew there were that many Meadows Frisky out there, the original car that used that glass. Thankfully I ordered early in my restoration. Now, if only he would produce both front and rear glass for my Elva Mk4T coupe. No one seems to know what the original source was for that glass. Sigh.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am

Never heard of a Meadows Frisky, looked it up...cute lil' thing!

1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: