Elan S2 front windscreen

PostPost by: melfab1 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 pm

Hi all,
Can anyone advise me where I can buy a front windscreen (preferably heated) for an 1965 S2 Elan.
I am in Melbourne Australia.
Regards
Bob
melfab1
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:12 am

Bob, I’ve bought heated screens in from UK for my S1 and S2’s. I think you can purchase them from TTR as well.
You need to have alternator fitted.
Drop me a PM and I’ll find details of the company I purchased directly from.
Vaughan
Sydney
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Bob,

"To avoid disappointment", check very carefully whether you have a S1 screen frame (one bolt per side) or a S2 frame (two bolts on each side) as the two screens and frames are different and an S2 (depending on its chassis number) could have either.

I have already posted on this subject and you should be able to find it. NB: I am in France and have a Pilkington S1 heated screen for my S2. This was purchased in GB from Sue Miller with the specific help of Pilkington Classic.

I have not yet fitted it, but the S2 certainly did not fit, it was way out !

Good luck!

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:11 pm

Rick Evans Motorsport supplies heated winbscreens for Elans, agree with previous comment on making sure you order the correct screen, luckily I only live a few miles from them and was able to easily swop the one that did not fit for another.

https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: melfab1 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:04 pm

Thanks everybody will check out all suggestions carefully.
Regards
bob
melfab1
New-tral

PostPost by: l10tus » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:41 pm

Did this get sorted out?

I was under the impression that the S1 and S2 frames were different, two mounting bolts either side on the S2, only one on the S1, the S2 has the "depressions" either side In the head rail, but the S1 does not, etc - but both glass screens were identical.

The glass was completely different shape on the S3 and S4.

Can this be confirmed exactly?
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:08 pm

I bought a heated front ok it was for a TVR but try UROGLAS.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:44 pm

Only difference is as you’ve pointed out, S1 frame has single bolt to support frame inside door aperture, whereas S2 has two bolts. These bolt have no influence on the screen shape, size. Both s1 and S2 DHC share same windscreen.
I suspect extra bolt on frame stopped the assembly pivoting on the single bolt if people use screen frame to enter or exit the cars.
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:47 am

Hi Vaughan,

I have been through the subject with Pilkington and there are clearly different references. Whether the differences which are measured in millimetres are major is best left to each person to decide.

I attach the Pilkington reference dimensions below.

The TTR screen is indeed from Ricky Evans and when I gave it a try, I could not get it to fit an original S1 frame (I resold it via a friend to someone whose own frame had been chopped to fit the RE version...). I understand that TTR were seeking to modify it but I have not checked with Eddie for about 3 years on this subject.
Attachments
Windscreen references.pdf
Pilkington information circa 2021
(274.38 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:42 am

Interesting, any professional windscreen fitters or able person on here can resolve the issue?

Certainly looks like it's meaningful, but no manufactures details or reference on the dimension sheet?

Where did this originate, can anybody throw some in some sense here.

The reason why I ask is that I purchased a new clear screen from Tony Thompson for myself and another Forum member a couple of years ago, recently tried to fit it to my S2 and there seems to be difficulty getting the bottom corners to sit into the frame properly - they both "kick out" - as if too large a radius.

I know Paul Haigh mentioned this issue in his excellent videos on rebuilding his S2.

I only test fitted it and didn't fit the "chrome" plastic spreader insert. The car is away being sprayed at the moment, so I haven't completed the fit yet.

I have various frames for my S1 and S2 bodies some are "split" at the bottom, some are completely whole?

Any enlightening info would be great!
Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:45 pm

Re Ricky Evans TTR screens, I’ve owned two s1’s and three S2 elan’s and only one cars screen frame was not cut mid bottom frame. All the ones cut had steel joined with hole drilled through which the screen tensioner rod passed.
I suspect there was more than one body and screen mould, and tolerances were not good beck in 63, (evidenced by the distance from bumper to head light apertures which varies from left to right in some cars as an example) the screen frame bottom rail was cut, this allowed the frame to fit snugly into the recess and allow it to be bolted to the scuttle. The cut would also address the millimeters of difference in a screen.
BTW the screen purchased for my 26r was from pilkington and it did not fit! We returned it and refitted the OEM screen when I rebuilt it in 2012.
I have the frame off my s2 26r with no screen fitted at the moment, it is OEM and has been cut.
Happy to attach a picture tomorrow.
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Vaughan, many thanks for the input.
On checking it appears that several people have had the same experience, frames joined at the bottom and however, some complete whole frames.
Also, seems the ill-fitting glass may be a Lotus "Elanism", it's not the first item that takes more than good-will to fit!

Any others?
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 pm

Sorry to repeat myself from another thread, in USA you must order a 'S1' screen for the S2 convertible as their S2 screens only fit the coupe (so presumably also fit the S3).
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:39 pm

I have no physical evidence to back this up, but looking at the windscreen dimensions, it would appear that the change between S1 and S2 windscreens is a size adjustment caused by a change in the dimension of the mounting rubber. This would imply that the openings in the S1 windscreen frames and the S2 windscreen frames are the same, and if you used an S2 rubber with an S2 windscreen in an S1 frame, that it would fit (and vice versa). Perhaps this would explain the experiences of owners, and the Pilkington dimensions? I have a few S1 and S2 windscreen frames and they all have the cut and metal plate.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: