Choosing a colour for my S4 resto

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:19 am

Hi

I'm restoring a 1970 S4 SE DHC which was originally L01 Lotus Racing Green (AKA "BRG" on the 1970 colour chart) but was resprayed some other shade of green, lighter, which I call "steam engine green". It was a really crappy blow over (they didn't bother to remove the tail lights, doors or bumpers) and only the second coat ever applied to the car. The paint is knackered and there are blisters all over the body now, and so it's going for a "back to gelcoat" respray in September.

This leaves me with a small dilemma. Should I have it done in LRG or choose a brighter colour like yellow, orange or that lovely sky blue (is it Cerulean Blue)? I'm leaning towards LRG but it's a bit dark and the car will mostly be driven down the winding country roads of Herefordshire; hence I am concerned with it merging into the background. I reckon it'd be a safer drive in a bright colour. An option might be a yellow stripe on LRG, front to back, in the middle of the bonnet. There are a few cars showing like this in the Google picture search, but is this considered a good thing? I'm no purist but the car may be sold at some point in the future and I don't want a stripe to put buyers off.

I realise paint choice is a highly personal decision, but I'm hoping a discussion with forum members might help clear my mind. Over to you!

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 am

Yellow stick on stripe that can be taken off
Who's going to paint it for you.
Not too expensive
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:08 am

My Elan is a fairly dark BRG with a yellow stripe and I have to say that I don't like it much, despite it being a classic Lotus racing livery.

The previous owner did the paint job and stripe. He told me that he added the stripe simply because it made the car more visible to other drivers, and thus safer. Given how I've had numerous instances where owners of lumbering SUVs were obviously surprised to see such a small car I think he was exactly right.

For many years I have considered removing the stripe, which is just stuck on (a hairdryer would loosen it) but his words have stayed with me. If I were to get the car resprayed I would choose a lighter color. I believe my car was yellow originally so I would probably return to that.

That said, a lot of people apparently do like it because it generally wins a decent position in popular vote car competitions even though it is totally undeserving! :-)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:45 am

There are some photos of your car in the gallery. Do you have silver or yellow bumpers?

Anyway, it looks good to me. I considered a stick on stripe, which gives the option for removal. A wide strip in the middle would look a bit better with pin stripes either side IMHO, and a cutout where the nose cone badge is (so you see a bit of green around it). Hmmm...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Here are a couple of pictures. When I purchased the Elan in 2011 it had yellow bumpers too. You could definitely see the car! But the bumpers were too much for me so I had them painted silver, color matched to the Panasport wheels.

(I stayed out of the recent thread about using original steel wheels - I opted to put mine in storage to protect them from the horrors of Massachusetts potholes.)

Nick
Elan-Boston-2011.jpg and

Elan-Stowe-2014.jpeg and
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:26 pm

For me the stripes look really good with a smaller stripe either side of the big one, as in the photo below. When doing some work on my S3 Coupe I found a 'ghost' mark of such a stripe, so thinking of re-instating it, after 45 years of having a plain white Coupe!

Mark
Attachments
zz LotusElanBCN306.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:18 am

A friend of mine was killed many years ago when a car did not see him and turned directly in front of his "Burnt Sand" Elan. It was during a club early morning run and i was right behind him. I would always go for a bright visible colour epecially now with so many large SUV's on the road that makes it even harder to see an Elan.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:44 am

That must have been traumatic, Rohan. My sympathies.

You're right about SUVs. Here in my rural location there are many of them, usually Land Rovers / Range Rovers, so I take that comment to heart.

One of the reasons steering me towards BRG, other than originality, is that there are so few BRG cars about, but lots of yellow ones. I think, with the triple stripe as shown in Mark's picture (obviously inverted colour wise - that is, yellow stripes on a BRG background), I should achieve enough visibility..?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:27 am

It is difficult because car colour is a very personal thing but working against that I suppose is always that desire to keep it to its original green colour.
I know when I was looking for a +2 a few years ago now I found one that fitted the bill in virtually all respects of condition/price etc apart from the fact that it was green with a yellow stripe. I just knew I couldn't live on a day to day basis with that yellow stripe on a green car!
To me I think a yellow car with a green stripe looks better than the other way around.

Just my two pennyworth of thought make of it what you will.

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 am

Thank you Alan, I value all opinions expressed on this matter.

I think, if I do go this route, I would have the stripes as stick on rather than painted; that way, I (or a future owner) can remove it at any time.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skyarch » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:30 pm

My color vote:
Attachments
IMG_0368.jpeg and
skyarch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:02 pm

Not a big car, lighter colour.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:14 pm

Jonb,
I wonder if you could give me an idea of the price you've been quoted please for the paint job.
Cheers
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:45 pm

Is that French or Cerulean Blue?

Either way, it looks nice. But not a period colour for a 1970 S4 I think (French Blue is on the chart and it looks darker).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ajwheels » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:13 pm

My two cents....or whatever that converts to....my car is BRG with a yellow stripe.....when I first saw it for sale, it just screamed "Lotus" to me, so I am good with it. I never really considered the visibility issue early on, but having had the car for a number of years now, I appreciate the "attention" the paint scheme brings.

04_2022_1.jpg and

Given that your car was originally the darker green, I would probably go with that, and with a removable stripe, you, and any future caretaker, would have the option of doing away with the yellow.....but that's just me, a child of the Sixties, following the adventures of Mr. Clark and Mr. Chapman.....
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: