Lotus Elan S3 SE - Hood Frame

PostPost by: bethanknights » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I posted forever ago when I was at the very beginning of the journey of restoring my dads Lotus Elan S3 SE. I'm pleased to say that 3 years later the project has made huge progress due to the unbelievable help from a friend I met through work.

But we need a bit of help.....

The original hood frame is missing the driver side 'window bar' not quite sure what to call it. Its the part that pivots on the hood frame/sticks and clips onto a bobbin on the screen frame. Ive attached a photo of the side we have got.

We were wondering if anyone has one of these we could buy or maybe know where we could get one? A whole new hood frame if around £450 and I would like to try and reuse the original if possible.

Or has anyone ever just fabricated their own, and if so how easy is it?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG-20230531-WA0002.jpg and
bethanknights
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi,
That same top tube was missing on my S3 when I bought it.
I could not find `D` section tubing at the time but Sue Miller provided a piece of the round tubing that replacement hood frames were being made out of then.
The rear end I could do just by flattening the tube and drilling it. The windscreen end was made by silver soldering a plate on the end and then cutting the fork. By using a separate plate I could offer it up many times until I was satisfied with the fit before soldering it on.
It is a case of making a mirror image to the one you have.
No one would ever notice that the tube is round instead of D shape because the hood is on at the time.
It has now worked well for twelve years.
Good luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bethanknights » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:57 pm

Thanks, thats helpful. Looks like a bit of creativity required. 8)
bethanknights
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:56 am

The correct D section steel tubing is available, not sure if the dimensions are the same as the Elan frame though.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... frame-tube

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1482-hood-bar

https://www.completeautomobilist.com/ca ... hood-frame
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:33 pm

not sure if buying from a US vendor makes sense for you... but RDent.com has an original hood frame for sale. If you click the "garage sale" button in upper left of their website. I went there looking because I thought I had seen a damaged hood frame...but now I think it was a damaged rear boot tray that I am recalling. This also seems like the kind of part you could locate from a damaged car... since you just need that one section. Have you already posted in the wanted section here?
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: