OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?? (Version 2.0)

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:38 pm

alan.barker wrote:I thought VIN is what we drink here in France lol
Alan

Ah well, now you know that it is the identification number on the bottle that held the wine before you drank it. These are not normally re-fitted (refilled) but melted down to create 'new' bottles to confuse the DWLA
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:38 pm

An update to the story. I had the original chassis (cough, cough "subframe") front turrets professionally repaired. You cannot tell they've been done at all, it is a very tidy job. And a Spyder style tow hook (U bolt welded to the front cross member. I am finishing removing all the old underseal from it, and painting over the original red oxide in zinc paint, which looks very similar to original. Then, I suppose I will paint on some bitumen paint, or spray with Tough Paint.

Yesterday the body went off to the paint shop. It's going to be BRG without a stripe, I will see how I like it and add a stick-on later if I think that'll look better. A proper back to gelcoat respray, done the old fashioned way, by hand and dry sanding.

I'm also using my blast cabinet to good effect. All wishbones blasted and primed, and I am working on the nearside front suspension parts. They are pretty well done, to primer, so I will soon start on the offside front.

As far as rebuilds are concerned, this is getting a bit "nut and bolt-y". I am hoping that the engine, gearbox, diff etc just need a light refresh with new oil seals. But the suspension is being done properly, althogh I am not sure I will fit new shock absorbers yet. They're easy enough to swap out anyway. There will be new CV joints and a stainless steel exhaust (manifold to tail pipe - the car had SS tail and centre pipes, and I just scored SS headers). Fuel tank was replaced at some point, receipt is on file. So I think it is OK. Window frames are OK, need derusting and paint. Carbs to be cleaned and overhauled. Same with instruments, and the dash is getting reveneered in teak per original. There will be new carpets and seatbelts, and a Safety Devices roll bar with side impact protection. I will try and reuse old trim where possible, but if it's shagged, it goes. All lighting will be restored. And the loom will be reused after some repairs. It looks OK after 52 years!

So, lots of stuff still to do... I must not forget this list. It's easy to think you're getting there when you achieve a rolling chassis! Which I haven't, but I'm working towards it.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:08 pm

Hmm, I spoke too soon with regards to the blast cabinet. Last night the blast gun’s air valve packed in. Looks like it is caused by a tiny rubber grommet that was fitted incorrectly so it got shredded in use. I am trying to get the supplier to repair it. Have to see how that goes, as like lots of Amazon shops they seem to have a dodgy warranty that breaches consumer rights legislation. As they pointed out! And all for the sake of a 5p rubber grommet!

Good job I like the cabinet.

However, I limped on with the gun jammed open and managed to strip and prime everything on the driver’s side front hub apart from the hub itself, which is sort of half stripped. Family affairs stopped play, a familiar tale to many, I am sure.

Progress is being made on the body. The front is stripped up to the engine bulkhead. So all’s looking well there, so far. I will go and inspect the stripped body when complete.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: