OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?? (Version 2.0)

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:40 am

Take a G and T Ice and a Slice for Easter.
Don't forget you're retired now.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:57 pm

Fantastic to see your enthusiasm, enjoy the process and congratulations!
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:05 pm

While I have an idle moment I thought I'd correct those compression test results.

180, 195, 200, 210 PSI for cylinders 1,2,3 and 4 respectively. When I measured these, I was turning the engine over on the starter with the throttle closed. I know, they are supposed to be open but I'm afraid I forgot at the time of the test and the engine is out now. So I expect the true readings to be a little higher. Also, I discovered the car has D type cams (2 grooves at the cam sprocket ends) and this, together with the compression readings, suggests this SE spec engine might have been breathed on. I would anticipate 118bhp if it's running right (that's SE spec), or a bit more. Did SE S4s have C or D type cams usually? Anyway, it will be rapid enough!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:11 am

My understanding is that all Stromberg car were fitted with sprint cams
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:49 am

jono wrote:My understanding is that all Stromberg car were fitted with sprint cams

It's part of the SE spec I believe. Were all Strommie cars SE?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:40 am

JonB wrote:
jono wrote:My understanding is that all Stromberg car were fitted with sprint cams

It's part of the SE spec I believe. Were all Strommie cars SE?

Others will know better but as I understand it stromberg cars were normal size valves but with sprint cams so I guess you might say 'SE+'.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:53 pm

Jono is correct, sprint cams, regular size valves.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:10 pm

Yes, Sprint Cams two grooves but i think there were Cams above Sprint with no grooves. Maybe something in Miles Wilkins book.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:30 pm

No groove standard cam, one groove SE Weber and standard Stromberg, two groove SE Stromberg and sprint.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:35 am

alan.barker wrote:Yes, Sprint Cams two grooves but i think there were Cams above Sprint with no grooves. Maybe something in Miles Wilkins book.
Alan

You may be thinking about the Super S/E cams which were used I believe on some factory cars (especially the press demonstrators) and on the Mike Spence BRM Elans before the Sprint cams were introduced. As far as I am aware they were the same as the later Sprint D profile.

I have also seen vague referencs to use of an E type cam for emissions purposes. But never been able to track down anything specific on it. My S1 Esprit has an E cam profile and maybe Lotus experimented with that profile on the Twincam at the end of its life

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:35 am

saildrive2001 wrote:No groove standard cam, one groove SE Weber and standard Stromberg, two groove SE Stromberg and sprint.

For me the first Cams had no groove but there was a Cam above the Sprint (two grooves) that also had no grooves.
Like Rohan said "super se".
Ref. Miles Wilkins.
Alan
Ps. Just looked in "Lotus Twin-Cam Engine" by Miles Wilkins. Page 180 Engine Specification. B type standard no groove, C type s/e one groove, D type super se/sprint two grooves, E type plain no grooves.
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:45 am

So I have a “super” SE then? Whohoo!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:58 am

Strombergs were fitted to Standard and SE spec domestic engines.

Type K Standard Stromberg, domestic; Elan Dec 68 - Mar 71
Type L SE Stromberg, domestic; Elan Jan 69 - Mar 71 & Plus 2 Apr 69
Type M SE Stromberg, domestic; Plus 2S Apr 68-Jan 71

The Type H was the Super SE, fitted with Webers, to only 4 domestic Elans (between Oct 68-Oct 70) and to 227 domestic +2s (between Jun 68-Mar 69), so really quite a rare variant. Apparently it put out 123bhp.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:16 pm

Baggy2 wrote:
I wonder if there are any issues with the DVLA when changing the chassis?

Dont tell 'em Pike ! :)

If the DVLA records correctly have the VIN number as the identifying mark, there would not normally be a problem, however if as in some wrong DVLA entries (like mine was) it shows the 'chassis' number instead of the VIN number there may be problems. because you will be changing the 'chassis' number. You may need a letter from the Lotus Archivist to confirm the the VIN number is the true identification of a Lotus and to include a clear photo of your VIN plate.

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number.

So it's best, perhaps, if that error exists in the DVLA records that you get them to fill in the correct VIN number, before you change the sub-frame. Then you will not need to notify the DVLA when you replace the sub-frame.

In many cases the main numeric portion of the VIN number is the same as the sub-frame number, which is probably the root cause of the DVLA confusion.

---

As an example of the problem, I thought I had cleared up my car's records long long ago (c 1978ish) , when I fitted an LR (Lotus Replacement) sub-frame, but it came back to bite me at the first MOT after the DVLA computerised its records, because the digitised record at the DVLA & hence on the 'automated MOT' records contained the old sub-frame number as the "Chassis" number which of course did not correspond with the LR number found by the MOT engineer.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:32 pm

I thought VIN is what we drink here in France lol
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: