how due i install my windshield....help please

PostPost by: smo17003 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:45 pm

I fitted both front and rear screens last year using the non-rope method and it worked well for me. Whichever method you choose, as previously mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=52028 do not be tempted to use any metal tools to get the glass into the rubber.
I assume you have the headliner in already as it would be almost impossible to fit correctly after the glass is in. Likewise the crash pad, you can fit it after the glass but it's far easier when there's no glass fitted. Also, and I found this out the hard way, fit your windscreen side trims before installing the chrome lace into the rubber while there is still a bit of "give" there.
Once the glass is in the rubber you can give it thump all around so that it settles into the rubber. You can use the palm of your hand but that tends to concentrate the force just at the heel of your palm. Because I had seen professional fitters using them, I used a small leather bag filled with sand to thump the glass into place. Look for "metal working sand bag", you just need something that will fit in your palm. You will be surprised how hard you can safely hit laminated glass.
Fit the lace using the correct tool, it looks a bit awkward to use at first but it's really easy enough. If you look at the S3's/S4's currently for auction on here https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/rac ... 2023-01-17 you will see that they all appear to have the lace cut and mitred into the corners. Some choose to fit the lace as one length and join in the centre. Once again the choice is yours.
When fitting the rear glass don't forget to fit the parcel shelf supports on the aperture lip before installing the rubber.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:48 pm

Hi,
Just to add to the comments
Do offer up the screen to the car and check that the lip that the seal will sit in is equal and smooth all the way around. On my S4 I had to grind a few of the edges to smooth things out and to get the gap correct – Obviously screens had been fitted before but whoever fitted it was prepared to use a lot more force than me! Once correct it is an easy job.

Cheers
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:57 pm

I'm waiting for a windscreen seal from sjs uk which on their site says original part.
I suppose i'll get screwed again by Fedex and pumped up import taxes.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: evanlotus » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:21 pm

all the seals are the same they split in both corners. dont know why ??
evanlotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:51 am

The old Seal on the back Window has split in bottom corners.
The old Seal on the Windscreen has not split but was fitted very very badly by "King Kong" at "Autoglass". With a big reduction on the old receit for the mess they made and Clamp marks still in the rubber Seal.
That will need carefull removal using a standley knife.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:16 am

Seals to be delivered today DHL and just been stuffed for 55.50 Euros which is 34% on original price .
Thanks again Brexit :twisted: :twisted:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:47 am

Just unpacked and compared to Windscreen seal still in place. It looks ok, just 1 to 2mm narrower between chrome locking strip and outside edge. I will see if the corners split when fitted.
I will use a standley knife to cut the old seal away with great care. Lots of old mastic and crap everywhere. Don't want to break Windscreen removing it do we.
Will remove Windscreen just before it goes to the paint shop.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:49 pm

hello gents and nerds

Inspired by the sunny weather allow me to chime in.
After waiting most of a year for a green tinted windscreen at long last it arrived curtesy of pilkington DK.
Of course it was impossible to find a glassfitter up to the job.
40 years ago this was an easy job with the correct rubberseal from Lotus .
Not so these days . Have been there . broke the screen . rubber very hard and in a different dimension .
Now back to the weather.
Seal fitted l ( 105 dg, remember ) I pushed the car out in the sun . After an hour + the rubber was heated to 63 dg. Now soft and pliable it was less than half an hour to fit both screen and crome strip .
So dont wait for the fitter, wait for the sun
enjoy
C.Garde
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: