Cross Country with Elan

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Some of you may remember about a year and a half ago when I completed my trip to the four corners of the USA. Alan (Spyder Fan) actually encouraged me to turn it into a book which, despite my protests to the contrary, I have done. It certainly uses much of the blog content though with a lot of added material, maps and transitions to make it a far better read. Titled the same as this post, it is available on Amazon USA here:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09K25RXJ1/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or on Amazon UK here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-Country-Elan-Small-Lifetime-ebook/dp/B09LD59137/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3N12MD31XR0M5

I am unabashedly flogging it as a great Christmas Gift to any car guy or girl who appreciates a road trip.

For those who are not familiar with it, this is a book about a Megatrip in my 1965 Lotus Elan as a 77 year old driver, making the combined age of the car and driver 133 years. I spent 36 days on the road, with 33 actual driving days from April 11 through May 20, 2021. The distance travelled was over 11,544 miles, avoiding Interstates as much as possible, averaging 350 miles per day. I crossed both geographic centers in traversing the country…a real “Cross Country Drive.”

Starting from my home in Colorado Springs, Colorado I touched eight points on the map on this trip including the four furthest points in the contiguous USA which are reachable by public road:
• Cape Flattery, WA, the most Northwest point in the contiguous United States
• Madawaska, ME, the most Northeast point in the contiguous United States
• Card Sound, FL, the most Southeast point in the contiguous United States
• Jalama Beach State Park, CA the most Southwest point in the contiguous United States
• The highest elevation town in the USA, Alma, CO at 10,578 feet above sea level
• The lowest town in the USA, Furnace Creek, CA at 190 feet below sea level
• The geographic center of the 50 States near Belle Fourche, SD
• The geographic center of the 48 contiguous States near Lebanon, KS
The purpose of the trip, in addition to the joy of exploring the country, was to raise funds for the Roundup River Ranch, a medically-supported camp for children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses. Thanks to wonderful support I was able to get contributions from over 100 kind donors and was able to raise over $22, 920 for the camp.
Attachments
Cross Country with Elan.jpg and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:03 pm

Got it Ross and a fan of signed books so I’ll be bringing it to Knoxville, maybe catch you there, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:10 pm

Hello Ross,

Are you by chance on the Book of Faces? If so, perhaps post your gift suggestion in one of the Lotus Elan groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lotus.Elan
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LotusOw ... nthusiasts

Have a great holiday with your family.

Best regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:14 am

I, too, am a fan of signed books. Hope to see you in Knoxville.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:28 pm

Well done Ross, I have just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it over Christmas.

The UK link in your message is for the Kindle version.

Here’s the link for the paperback book on UK Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-Country- ... C79&sr=8-1

I will give a review :D
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:01 pm

Yes, a great gift for the Lotus-lover or any car-person!

Ross' love of a long road trip adventure drips off every page. An entertaining and easy read that will leave you looking at your car thinking, "I need to plan a road trip in 2023".

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Attachments
IMG_1014(2) (Custom).jpg and
Ross and friends at the Golden Gate Bridge
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm

What a nice surprise to come back a day after my self-serving post and find all these nice comments. :D

Alan, I look forward to your review! Dan, I don't Faceplant, Twit or Instantgram...sorry :(

To Gordon, Dan, Greg and Kiyoshi, I say Thank You!!

I hope to be in Knoxville and will bring my Lotus green pen for your book signings. Of course you realize that they are easier to sell on if not personalized, so you may wish to reconsider; right??
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:40 am

Ross Robbins wrote:What a nice surprise to come back a day after my self-serving post and find all these nice comments. :D

Alan, I look forward to your review! Dan, I don't Faceplant, Twit or Instantgram...sorry :(

To Gordon, Dan, Greg and Kiyoshi, I say Thank You!!

I hope to be in Knoxville and will bring my Lotus green pen for your book signings. Of course you realize that they are easier to sell on if not personalized, so you may wish to reconsider; right??

Ok if I copy your post and paste into faceplant with the Lotus groups only?

Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dan in NJ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:48 am

Hi All,
Although I am restoring a Europa TC, I do look for a Elan.
So to help with my dreaming, I just purchased my copy.

Dan
Dan in NJ
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:15 pm

Ross
Just ordered a copy.
My son and myself both looking forward to reading it and hopefully inspiring us to do the road trip we keep talking about.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:50 am

I can concur that it's a right riveting rollercoaster of a read
Thanks Ross
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R