French registration

PostPost by: ChrisR » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:56 pm

Andrew,

Many thanks for that info, sorry for the delay in replying, been away for two weeks.

I will certainly ask for the Attestation now you have explained and as soon as I have it I will add it to the dossier...

In fact, before I went away I sent off all the FFVE wanted for their documentation and they have replied that "my dossier appears complete".

I will continue to try this by myself, having lived here for some time ( and imported several cars and a boat) I quite enjoy the challenge of dealing with the bureaucracy (strange though that may seem!!).

Thanks again,

Chris
Chris
1968 S3 SE 45/7730
ChrisR
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:12 am

Hello Chris,

Please keep posting on this subject. I am about to start the same process for my 1967 Elan.

I have just managed to get my Mercedes registered in France it took 9 months and cost approx €3k most of which was to buy headlights which conform to an EU standard now that the UK is not in the EU. Even the local authority people who wanted to inspect the car twice think the regs are a joke. With the original headlights it passed the control technique but as the lights did not have an EU stamp on them it could not be registered.

I cannot get my Ducati monster registered in France due to it being fitted with a Termignoni Exahaust system (done by the factory when new) as this was not the way the bike was homologated in France. Even Ducati France think this is a joke.
Ironically I bought a Ducati 1098s here in France which also has a Termignoni exhaust fitted but it has no problem being registered.

I have already bought the LHD headlights for my Elan and am now in the process of amassing the required paperwork to hopefully get the car registered.

Martin
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:40 pm

@ Martin: there are rules and regulations everywhere where safety is seen as beneficial, that is just how it is :).

If your car was RHD, it seems fair that items such as headlamps would be scrutinised...(unless the car is modern and has lamps that change automatically which is the case of many BMW group cars).

I was able to buy my Cibié headlamps from "Yakarouler" for my project. From memory they came to the reasonable sum of 40€, but I am very aware that modern headlamps are ridiculously expensive.

Next time, might I suggest "Le Bon Coin" for second hand modern headlamps?
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ChrisR » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:45 pm

Just to bring this up to date...

Today I received the Attestation from the FFVE (Fédération Francaise des Véhicules d'Époque) so all I need now is to pass the ControleTechnique (MOT)...

There were no questions about the figures I used to complete the form, it took about five weeks and cost 60 euros.

Happy to pass on anything I have learnt about this so far.

Chris
Chris
1968 S3 SE 45/7730
ChrisR
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:48 pm

Hi Martin,
For info the E11 on the headlights has always existed from long before the Brexit.
It's the European standard.
Same as things in UK with BS Kite mark.
The only thing that has changed since Brexit is the "Quitis Fiscal" which before Brexit was free. Because before Brexit when UK was part of EU the VAT was considered as having been paid.
I've lived in France since Jan 1992 so i have seen a few changes. In the past i have imported 6 different cars from the UK.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: