s3 electric window dashboard switches

PostPost by: gentry74 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:27 pm

Does anyone know where I can source some new window switches? I have one original and one replacement (circa 1985 that looks a little different). Am restoring my father's elan....bought new in 1967. I would ideally like to replace a few of the dash switches that are now not OEM looking....

the window momentary on- off - momentary on seem the hardest to locate. IS there a source? or just old stock?

Thanks
Gentry
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:25 am

Hello,

I purchased a pair from S J Sports Cars in the UK.

Go to their web site (https://www.sjsportscars.com/home.htm) and search for part number: SJ036M0076 don't bother asking for a wiring diagram, I had to work it out for myself.

I can give you my version of the diagram if you need.

I would guess that the usual UK Lotus suppliers would also stock them.

Good Luck with it.

Regards

PC
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Wed May 04, 2022 10:56 pm

I had a chance to review that part number and compare to whats already on my car. The part you quoted appears to match the non-original switch I already have. They are definitely similar but what sets them apart is the original has a round nut with spanner slots... and the version available via your link has a hexagonal nut. So... a new question: does anyone have a source for the round nut? Pic attached for clarity.

Gentry
Attachments
toggle.JPG
toggle.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 521 times
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:39 am

Hello again Gentry,

I found that the replacement switches are quite different to the originals which appear to be no longer available.

You might be lucky and find some New Old Stock items somewhere of the originals but if not, you might have to be content with the ones I have suggested.

You might also find that you may need to enlarge the back of the wooded dash board routed switch sections in order to make them fit if you do decide to use them.

Also unless you want to be fanatical about originality, I don't think most people would notice or care that the retaining nut is round or hexagonal.

Good luck with you quest.

Paul
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun May 08, 2022 7:56 am

Appreciate that you are not UK based but a quick search comes up with this 'round' bezel which I assume will screw on the the 'hexagon' toggle switch.
Not quite 100% the same maybe but worth a go I would have thought?
https://www.holden.co.uk/p/toggle_switch_special_bezel

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun May 08, 2022 6:29 pm

Gentry,

If a round nut is what you want, then I would think a local machine shop could make to suite.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gentry74 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:16 pm

I ordered 2 window switches from RD here in the states. They havent arrived yet. They have hex nuts. I am making a new dashboard and will route as needed to accommodate the switches. I have found many different sources for round nuts with the little spanner slots online. One type is typically used on guitars. I am not going to order any until I have received my new window switches (so i can measure thread/etc). Thanks everyone for the input.

Incidentally, as an FYI - years ago my dad took out the choke button/cable and put a momentary switch in its place for washer fluid. The switch he used was a standard metal silver toggle. I found a lucas replacement via british parts NW (bpnorthwest.com) that looks more original.

I'm not super fanatical about it. Just want the dash to look nice and prefer everything matches at a glance. My brain picks up details too quickly for my anal retentive tendencies to ignore them. lol

G
GD
67 s3 dhc
gentry74
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: