Anyone driving around with worse paintwork than me?

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm

I know I need a respray, having gone past the nice patina stage some years ago!

Have had a quote from Option 1 for £13k + vat and I know would look beautiful and shiny after their renowned attention. Possibly a little cheaper elsewhere.

But then the Lagoon Blue has been fading since the 1980s. I remember discussing it with Graham Arnold at a Club Lotus meeting back then. The bonnet edge was damaged when the bonnet flew off driving over the moors in North Wales on a dark wet night in 1982. The boot hinge damage was caused by a gust of wind catching the boot lid sometime back then.

So my wife feels that if we had a respray it would no longer look like our car (she says rather than the cost!?)She has grown quite fond of the Elan since we went on honeymoon in it in 1983! Some damage caused to the boot and bonnet paint work back then when “just married” was sprayed on with shaving foam.

So perhaps I will leave the respray for the next owner (whenever that might be).

But just wondered if anyone else driving around with worse?

Richard

2643B3DE-2EE5-424D-BD5E-44CAFC475283.jpeg and
Attachments
635B24C8-6425-48BE-9CD9-C65E23482BF2.jpeg and
0C871CAD-FD9E-4CEB-9B49-83B626ACE671.jpeg and
C4436DC5-A61B-4E65-9E05-FDF4D3C40E0E.jpeg and
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 pm

I’d suggest you invest in proper professional machine polish and detailing. It’ll never be perfect but I suspect you might be shocked at what they can achieve.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I’d suggest you invest in proper professional machine polish and detailing. It’ll never be perfect but I suspect you might be shocked at what they can achieve.

Have tried! Can get a bit of a shine but oxidises pretty quickly. And the paints getting a bit thin in places…

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi

I do not have pictures to prove it but I had a yellow Elan +2 that used to constantly shed bits of paint. It wasn't blotchy in the same way yours is.

A friend of mine who is a Lotus aficionado said that with modern primers and paints it is possible to get a good paint job from someone who knows for between £4k - 6k whereas in the past £12-15k.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:37 pm

My original Lagoon Blue went the same way, especially after polishing.

Bit the bullet 8 years ago, and have never looked back.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 pm

I have a similar paintwork. But not metallic.
FestivalLotus2015-1 (18).jpg and

Some of you can tell.
It's quite painful to keep this patina, which is why I have only washed her four times since 2004 ... always wiped . Wheels and spinners apart. Problems started when a new driver backed up, smashing the front bumper ... Try to get a clean repair, that match the rest of the car!
No plans to repaint her. She wouldn't stand it.
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi

Love that patina and paint job. Quite a few nice ideas for a racy paint theme there. Do you have any pictures of the interior please?

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:15 am

There was a JPS Elan Plus 2 that used to come to most of the Club Lotus meeting 10 or 15 years ago. The owner also had a collection of the most perfectly restored cars, including a red Plus 2 (that Matty sold to Chris Evans a few years back for £35k), an S4 DHC and a Sprint, all restored by Peter Day. He loved originality, and restored perfection!
Many of you will recognise this JPS.
Mark
Attachments
zjps2.JPG and
zjps.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: George S L » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 am

180.jpg and
This is mine before I took it off the road last year
George
Elan+2
Mk2 Mx5
George S L
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:13 am

Haha, I think we have a winner in the black JPS +2.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:18 am

Richard
I too am building up to a respray and have the same dilemma as I like a bit of patina.
My Sprint looks OK from a distance (previous owner had cheap respray when replacing chassis) but unfortunately the bodywork has weakened with age so lots of cracks appearing under the paint so it needs a full body restoration.
I got a few quotes for body off respray and the costs were similar to yours.
Recently talked with Paul Mason (based at Spyder) who told me Its starts about £6,500 + for the paint work and if Spyder are to strip it all down body off the chassis and rebuild afterwards its about same cost again.
Once its all stripped down I then start thinking what else might be worth doing at the same time. I fancy a roll cage and sill strengtheners, a rewire would be sensible etc. The bill just keeps gets bigger.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Just spotted a new potential winner from the Goodwood revival.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/21- ... tp#image=4
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:32 pm

Great replies, thanks, and mine not the worst although not far behind. Compared to the “slightly shabby” Sprint mine is only very slightly shabby! Under the body everything is in good shape, and usually starts first time and running nicely and I still love every outing. Have managed 250 miles so far this year, better than the 3 miles last year, but a lot of catching up to get close to Russ’s heroic adventures.

Good to hear from you Clive, your air filter and trunking still in place, along with the aluminium thermostat housing. And also good to hear OEW going strong Chistian, definitely shinier than mine!

I guess could have the twin cam fettled to 160bhp etc for the price of a respray, but these days I am a rather more sedate (or sensible) driver than I was back in my 20s so not really necessary…….but would be fun….

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: