More leg room for s3?

PostPost by: Frankster1955 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:40 am

Interested in more leg room for my S3. I should rather think picking up the whole seat and creating four new, more distal holes with proper reinforcements should fix the problem. I do not need to adjust the seat for another driver. Has this problem already been solved?
Frankster1955
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:26 am

There are two fitting positions as standard .. perhaps your seat is currently fitted in the forward position?
The seat is secured to the floor with two brackets at the front which clamp the front horizontal rail of the frame into one of two corresponding recesses in the floor pan, the bracket is rotated through 180° to suit. No need to drill any new holes.

PXL_20210911_072219392.jpg and
Seat fixing positions
Last edited by oldelanman on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:56 am

We have a few forum members that are six feet four or five inches tall, I believe they fit their cars without the need to modify them.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 am

To add to last post, the seat also has adjustment built in. My friend is well over 6’ tall and he fits comfortably with the seat in the rear mounting groove even without using the adjuster.
Cheers
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:39 pm

I think you'll find that the standard seat is as far back as it will go when fitted in the rearmost position with regards the centre tunnel widening out at the rear and the rear bulkhead.

I'm 6ft 5 inches tall and fit comfortably. If you're any taller, get a TVR Griffith. The Chairman was 6 ft 7 inches tall when that car was designed in the 1990s, and he suggested that he'd better be able to drive it when his team were designing the car! I can't reach the pedals with the seat right back!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frankster1955 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:09 am

I am 6 foot 5 as well, rather leggy. A smaller steering wheel helps. I will see if the seat is in the rear most position in the rear mounting groove. This is new to me. TYTY I am considering shocks. your input on this is welcome on this subject in another post another post.
Frankster1955
New-tral

PostPost by: Frankster1955 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:34 am

Moved seat back. This is an improvement. Thinking of finding a way to get another two inches. I have ideas. I will share.
Frankster1955
New-tral

PostPost by: Flying Banana » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi, I'm 6'5 1/2" (with a long back) and couldn't get enough head room with the std seat reglardless of where it was mounted (fore or aft), so made a custom mount for a Tillet seat from a Caterham and mounted this to the floor ensuring all the load points were well spread.

I also have a removable steering wheel, which makes getting in and out considerably easier. I used a steering wheel boss which locates on a series of ball bearings rather than go with splines, as in my experience the splined versions tend to wear over time (https://gsmperformance.co.uk/product/b- ... heel-boss/)
1966 FHC S3 Elan
1969 Alfa Giulia Stepnose - halfway Alfaholics GTA-R
1998 Caterham 7 Superlight R
Flying Banana
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:49 pm

I've got a 36" inseam and have no issues (other than foot room) in my S4SE, but regardless the seat is pretty hard against the transmission tunnel in the stock rearmost setting so it isn't clear that you could get much more range even if you redrilled the holes. I'm using stainless seat rails from RD Enterprises. I don't think they are any different than the standard rails but maybe there is a travel stop on the stock rails that isn't present on the RD units? Are your pedals unusually far forward?
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: