Lotus Elan

Is it possible to have a relaxed drive in a Elan?

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:28 pm

My plan is for the heavier and more sleek +2 to have a 5 speed on Patton Fi as the GT
The wee one, a 3:1 with the hot cams and DCOE for the daily spring
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Just back from 3,000 mile round trip to Portugal from Wiltshire.
I had no problem with cruising at 4,000 to 4,500 revs, around 80mph with 3.55.
As far as comfort goes the wind noise is the most annoying aspect, but I did not find that as bad as the drumming exhaust note of other old cars.
I did spend far too much time on motorways, but that enabled 700mile days. And more time to enjoy the car at the destinations. If I could avoid the M25/M20 the whole trip would be improved.

So my reply to the original question would be, depends on how you define relaxed. I look forward to the next long trip.
David
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:28 am

My S4 dhc is running standard gearbox with 3.55 diff and is very easy to cruise at our (ever decreasing) speed limits in Australia. 60mph is about 3000rpm and 70mph achieved just over 3500. Note: Speedo and tacho move about a bit at these figures.
I am now using 165-78-13 Yokohama tires at 24(f)and 30psi(r) which transformed the nervous handling to total relaxed driving on twisty or straight roads. As noted by others it is much better with the roof off otherwise wind noise is annoying. I have a small wind blocker behind the seats and bespoke tourneau cover to prevent that breeze attacking us from behind.
Cheers
Ian
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: