Road trip article in Road & Track

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm quite a fan of R&T and when I have a spare moment I like a good read (on line). Obviously Russ' trip has been mentioned on the forum, but for those who have not seen this article, it is very enjoyable.

"What You Learn From the Guy Who Just Did a 12,000-Mile Trip in an Old Lotus
Ross Robbins tackled America in a sports car made of tissue paper."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... otus-elan/

Bonne lecture ! :D
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:01 pm

Fabulous!!!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 pm

Thanks @Frogelan for posting the link. I am truly blessed to have friends made on this forum to meet me and assist me in completing my "megatrip." I encourage you all to get out on the road in your Elan or Plus 2 and show the world that this amazing little slip of a car is still capable of greatness after more than 50 years of progress.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Russ,

This was a super trip. As my pal Mazzini knows, I have a long road trip in mind but first I have to finish my project (which incidentally was originally exported to the US).

Interestingly, we are also both fans of such journeys. In our current period of "needing" big hp, tyres, wheels etc, this type of trip is a great challenge in a 55 year old car.

If I was to mistakenly show the article to my father (80) I'm sure he would be planning something similar if the Covid complications were not such a problem!

Thanks again!

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:12 am

Love a road trip, in 80 and 90's I regularly did the London to South of France. Le Mans and Germany in my S4SE DHC, and other memorable trips in my mates 5 speed Europa Special.

Our recent road trip, was not in Elan, but was an epic trip. We circumnavigated Australia in a re run of the Repco Reliability Trial using a mix of transports and original rally stages in a 1990's 5 speed Volvo Wagon nick named the "red brick" we ran in the top 3 cars for the majority of the event, never missing a beat! When our Shapecraft is done which will have 1860 and 5 speed our Elan road trips will become a reality again.

Its on again in 2029 for the international rally addicts ....

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: