Magazine article

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:58 am

Excellent!
Thanks for putting this up, and actually posting a link.
Lots of times on here I see "there's an good article" in some magazine, but no link and I presume we're meant to go out and buy it, if we can find it.....
So, guys, and guyesses, if you see a good Lotus article somewhere, don't just tell us about it, put up a working link !

( And don't give me any grief about copyright issues unless you can tell me how many times forums like ours have been taken to task).
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Great article, thanks for posting, it's a keeper.

I recall driving my S3 DHC up to Elkhart Lake from Chicago with the top down through rain without getting too wet, ah, those were the days!
Jerry:
'62 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rolbydo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:39 am

Very nice article. Worth reading!
rolbydo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm

I built the engine in Richard's car. It was interesting to note that the block was linered from new. I can only think that it must have been out of spec somewhere, and to save scrapping the casting, it was linered. Due to the low miles on the car, 22k if I remember correctly, it retains its original standard size pistons.

LS
Attachments
P1010007(9).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:20 pm

512BB wrote:I built the engine in Richard's car. It was interesting to note that the block was linered from new. I can only think that it must have been out of spec somewhere, and to save scrapping the casting, it was linered. Due to the low miles on the car, 22k if I remember correctly, it retains its original standard size pistons.

LS

Linering seems a very expensive thing to do for a company that could just scrap the block and use the next one off the production line. I can't find any record of Ford linering 'L' blocks. Do you have any further info on this?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I’ve seen a Lotus numbered ‘ L ‘ block with liners fitted from new, standard size.
Don’t know sequence or machining operations before the cylinder boring takes place, there may be several time consuming operations first.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: