65 Elan S2 Restoration

PostPost by: JLescenski » Wed May 13, 2020 8:28 pm

All of you are inspiring. I have been slowly working on my S2 for a number of years. Family and I cant agree how many years it has been in the garage, they seem to think it has been in there much longer that I do. With the quarantine keeping me home, I have had time to work on bits and pieces.

The backstory: I found it in a friend's garage and I finally talked him into selling it to me. His story was that he bought in in the late 60's from a used car dealer. It has 56K on it, but when he got it, he drove it for a little while and decided to repaint and go through the engine. I couldn't get the whole story if he went through it completely or just did a big valve conversion. He also stripped it for paint an cleaned up a few cracks in the body. That was 1972. It never saw the road again.
Lotus Elan 1.JPG and
The first time I saw it

100_7200.JPG and
When I got it home
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JLescenski » Wed May 13, 2020 9:13 pm

It did get one road trip to beautiful Needles, CA for a VIN inspection to remedy the lost title. Now it is titled in my name and officially mine. Had to post this picture. Dreaming of a time when I can actually drive it on Route 66
IMG_0926 (1).JPG and

It is almost ready to go to the paint shop
update.jpg and

doesn't look like much progress from the outside, but the frame and suspension are coming along nicely
IMG_0827.jpg and

It is all the little details that take lots of time.
IMG_5377.jpg and

Thanks to all of those on this forum, the process has been much easier.
Attachments
IMG_5378.jpg and
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed May 13, 2020 10:31 pm

The detail underneath is replayed time over when yo get to use it... keep up the work
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu May 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Love the "first time" shot! You must post it again with a "completed" shot. I too am working on an S2 that has not seen the road/track since '73 .
Jerry:
'61 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JLescenski » Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Jerry,

How far along is your S2?
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Body primed, chassis/drive train slowly coming together...
IMG_7347.JPG and
Jerry:
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Jerry

That is an interesting photo of your S2 26R chassis and body.

Can you tells us any more about the unusual reinforcement plates and/or post any other photos?

Is that colour the original shade (as it is unusual) ?

Many thanks

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Andrew,
That's the primer color, am leaning toward something called Sublime Green Pearl, very bright with certain angles having a golden tint in the sun, should be pretty dramatic.

No reinforcements other than a scatter shield plate and rear tower diagonals, both done in the mid 70's. None of the bottom chassis triangulation that seems common these days, at least not yet.

IMG_7308.JPG and
Jerry:
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saf » Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Bon Chance JL ,hope you gets your kicks on Route 66 real soon, that "color" will get the armadillos attention for sure.Nice short synopsis of your progress.
Do you keep your dashboard on your bed to play a more realistic "Pray Station!" or are you an X-Box man?

Keep us posted.
saf
New-tral

PostPost by: jabingb » Fri May 15, 2020 2:59 pm

JL, my apologies, I seem to have hijacked your thread, will start a new one with the progress of my project. Best wishes with yours, guess we've got a race going after a hiatus of 45+ years. Jerry
Jerry:
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks Jerry, an interesting Dodge colour it would appear. It is not a million miles from "Miura Verde" (or Pistachio perhaps). "Miura verde" is a personal favourite.

JL, you have quite a complete project basis to work from. I'm at a similar stage but I'm building a GTS car (26/4022) which was originally delivered to Lotus East. I'll post photos when I can get on with it a little more (it is in the UK which for the next few months will be in quarantine).

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JLescenski » Fri May 15, 2020 8:15 pm

saf wrote:Bon Chance JL ,hope you gets your kicks on Route 66 real soon, that "color" will get the armadillos attention for sure.Nice short synopsis of your progress.
Do you keep your dashboard on your bed to play a more realistic "Pray Station!" or are you an X-Box man?

Keep us posted.

Just posing for a picture. It is living behind the suits in my closet along with the windshield and dash pad. Wife roller her eyes when i put it in the closet, but when I told her what a replacement costs, she seemed ok with it. Not sure of what color to paint it. I was going to convert it to the Carnival Red that was originally available, but have read on this forum that it is not a good red. I am not a purest, but trying not to stray too far from original.
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JLescenski » Fri May 15, 2020 8:18 pm

jabingb wrote:JL, my apologies, I seem to have hijacked your thread, will start a new one with the progress of my project. Best wishes with yours, guess we've got a race going after a hiatus of 45+ years. Jerry

You are welcome to stay and hijack. That is the best thing about this forum, you dont just get one person's opinion and experience. Plus we can't all hang around the garage and swap stories these days, so it will be the next best thing
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri May 15, 2020 8:25 pm

JL,

Have a look at Mazzini's red Elan. It is in Tartan Red (a BMC colour used on the MGB / Mini Cooper works cars.

It is one of my other favourites...and a "period shade" .

A
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri May 15, 2020 10:46 pm

JL, Good steady work, it will be worth the care you've taken. I bought my car in 1969 and it had already done 51K miles but has never been off the road for more than a few months so is rather higher mileage now. Could you reveal your chassis number, please, so we can tell if yours is a transitional car like mine?

Jerry. You were going to sell the beast in 2014! No willing buyer?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: