My (father's) Lotus

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:02 am

Benny,

Located where you are I'd have hoped that Tony Vaccaro and the LOONY's (Lotus owners of New York) would make themselves known to you and perhaps even get you along to some meets/events. I'd hope too some might even offer to give you a hand and/or advise you. A fresh set of eyes looking at the car would doubtless help. Doesn't sound like you need to be enthused you are already there!

If your Dad is looking down on you I'm certain it's with a proud tear in his eye. My sixteen year old can't even wield a hammer.

Can you get some off road driving lessons so you could take your driving test on your sixteenth birthday? I suspect you'd be the youngest ever legal driver of a Lotus.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Welcome, I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I went to the license office with my older sister the day I turned 16, then drove us home.
Glad to see a young enthusiast interested in the cars, yours having special significance for you. What a treasure.
I have a twin of yours, same colour even.

Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:55 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Benny,

Located where you are I'd have hoped that Tony Vaccaro and the LOONY's (Lotus owners of New York) would make themselves known to you and perhaps even get you along to some meets/events. I'd hope too some might even offer to give you a hand and/or advise you. A fresh set of eyes looking at the car would doubtless help. Doesn't sound like you need to be enthused you are already there!
I suspect you'd be the youngest ever legal driver of a Lotus.

That is why I asked if you were in NY. Clifton Park is upstate, in the Albany area if I recall correctly. That is about 5 hours from me in Buffalo. Would love to help you out but that is a little too far for a quick drive. If you join the LOONYs I will send out an email to the group to see if we can get someone out there to help you out. LOONY dues are cheap but as you are so far away from where we typically do stuff, I am not sure that joining us will be that effective for you. We do have a few Elise and Exige owners up your way, but that will not help you.

Just be careful with the car and remember to drive it like you drive a motorcycle. My guys, now in their late 20's, have been driving my cars since they were 16. (Elans, Caterhams, Sevens, and Elises) Respect the car for what it is, a 50 year old car. You will come out the loser in some sort of mishap which is why you have to drive very defensively.

The Elan is really a very simple car. You really should have very little problems working on it yourself. I am happy to help you all I can with advice and directions on how to do things. Email me anytime at tvacc*at*lotusowners*dot* you know where.

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Wow, what a cool story...except of course for losing your dad...so sorry to read that news...but I'll join the chorus here and wish you the best with it, and may this car bring you much happiness and exceed all your expectations!

One more great story to follow in this forum! :)
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:26 pm

I am going to bring a cloud to this discussion! :|

My advise would be to do any wrenching necessary on the car and gain some experience in that department but, for your first car, buy a cheap junker! All three of my young drivers learned in the school of hard knocks! Literally! One totaled two cars [my son] and the girls just plenty of fender benders and one total with a deer. Really, just learning the ropes in most cases. Trusting a driver was actually going to do what his turn signal said he was and driving a road that one could expect deer on at dusk at a high rate of speed. Hey, insurance might demand my plan anyway. :(

Sorry,

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:04 am

Hi benymazz

Where to begin?

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. That must have been incredibly tough. Particularly at the age you are. I really hope you won't be offended if I say, if you were conceived when he was in his sixties, I guess he had one hell of a life! Top man! :D

Secondly. Wow, what a stunning car. With such great provenance, plus the sentimental value. We're I your father, I would certainly take some comfort in the thought that it would be yours.

Finally, I would echo what a previous poster has said. The most sensible thing for you to do, is take advice on how best to lay it up for the next 4-5 years at least. You will hopefully have this precious valuable car, and cherished memory, for a lifetime. Don't be impatient. You really don't want to be in an accident in one of these older vehicles. Make all your 'mistakes' in a much safer modern car. They are far more forgiving, and less expensive to either trash or repair.

I say all that having had a nasty accident in my Plus 2 at the age of (I think?) 23, in 1983.

I was pretty lucky.

Sorry if that doesn't come across in the way I mean it.

Take care

Andy
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 am

My one son started out in cheap Miatas. We called them"Training Lotuses". If you are going to drive the Elan, drive it sparingly. Only on Sundays mornings for example till you get some experience under your belt. That's what my guys did.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:32 am

My one son started out in cheap Miatas. We called them"Training Lotuses". If you are going to drive the Elan, drive it sparingly. Only on Sundays mornings for example till you get some experience under your belt. That's what my guys did.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: