Sprint versus S3

PostPost by: jimj » Fri May 13, 2016 10:56 am

We have had an S3 for 12 years and 65,000 miles now. Kept on top line, nonetheless there`s the odd creak and rattle, just as there was, probably, in 1967, but more so. It`s not original; with a Sprint engine, 5 speed Voight gearbox, 3.55 diff, Miller drive-shafts, and a Moto-lita steering wheel, smaller and fatter. We also have a low mileage Sprint, which but for electronic ignition, is entirely ex-factory spec. and in a condition almost too good to use, which I find slightly uncomfortable.

This week both needed an MOT and, dropping one off and picking the other up, was a perfect opportunity for a direct comparison over a 20 minute cross-country drive. So, a question I keep asking myself;....which is better?

The Sprint, definitely, is the more exciting drive, the steering more delicate with the bigger wheel and more care is needed to drive smoothly with the original gearbox, heavier clutch, and doughnuts. It`s more of a proper classic car. The lower gearing is fine cross-country but wearing at anything over 70mph.

The S3 is easier, gearchange is smoother, clutch is lighter, it`s just as quick but more relaxing and I much prefer the meatier feel to the steering. It just feels more modern, but is that a good thing in a classic car? I don`t think so, otherwise you could say an MX5 is a better car and you`d probably be right.

So....which is better? but then, what is "better"?

Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri May 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Food for thought Jim. It's great you are in a position to immediately compare them.

When I get into my Sprint after my modern diesel 4x4 I find I spend the first 10 minutes re-learning how to drive properly.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Apples and Oranges, for whatever mood strikes you.

Whenever I get out of my Sprint and into a daily driver, I'm looking for something to do!
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 pm

My son recently bought an MX5 that had been boosted, resulting in about 210hp at the rear wheels. I thought I would really prefer it, but I don't. Its fast, frighteningly fast when the turbo kicks in, but the lotus feels quicker and more responsive. We are upgrading the suspension this weekend, so we'll see if that changes my opinion, but I doubt it. The control arms are huge and heavy. They look to be the same as any old modern sedan. No, I think they got something right with the elan, any version, which no other car I've driven comes close to. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Fri May 13, 2016 9:44 pm

The question you are asking seems to be more about modified vs standard rather than S3 vs Sprint. I would think that any Elan similarly modified would be much the same no matter which series.

I generally tend to prefer cars which have had a life, and like nothing more than tasteful improvements to the owner's liking.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat May 14, 2016 6:54 am

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this subject.

I believe in the future only original Elans (with period mods) will be thought of as Classic Cars, the rest will be in the MX5 camp

Why as a classic car enthusiast would you want to drive something that feels modern is beyond me. We can all do that in the wife's car!

My own car is de"Federal"ised , TTR UJs , larger Rad/fan , electronic ignition and that's it! Only the electronic ignition could be considered as modern.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat May 14, 2016 8:29 am

"The question you are asking seems to be more about modified vs standard rather than S3 vs Sprint."

Yes, you`re right, Adigra, it absolutely is, and in absolute terms the S3 is the better car. Obviously, I`m no purist and the modifications we`ve done suit the use we make of that car but I certainly wouldn`t want to go any further. It rather misses the point of owning such a great classic if you change it into something else.

I note with wry amusement, and sometimes with dismay, the number of posts here relating to problems with "improvements". Buy a kit car to fiddle with rather than despoil such a great little car, I often think.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 am

I agree that an entirely original, hopefully never restored car will be prised most as it is unrepeatable, but on the other hand the car which is driven regularly will need worn items maintained or replaced, or it will need restoration. In that case, do you fit parts for the sake of originality, or do you upgrade to make it more usable. I'm talking about things such as wider or aluminium radiators, electric fans, electronic ignition, solid driveshafts, biger exhausts, etc.. For me, the answer is in the intended use. If I wanted to mostly show the car, then OEM parts and absolute originality all the way, but if I wanted to drive hard and get where I was going, then I'm much happier fitting some upgrades I believe Chapman would've too had he not been penny pinching.

I mean just take that tiny radiator in the S4. Yes, it's original, but not only is it inferior today, it was a downgrade from the S3 even in period. An original concourse car would definitely need to retain it, but one to be driven hard will probably benefit from an upgrade.

All that aside, Jim, I think it's fantastic to have both!
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat May 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Better for what?? :)

My Sprint is pretty 'original' apart from electronic ignition, a bigger radiator and a decent electric cooling fan, all of which helps it cope with modern roads and traffic. However everything can be easily changed back to 'original' if required.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat May 14, 2016 6:43 pm

I have an almost standard S3 S/E dhc and a modified S2.

The S3 has a slightly tuned engine, around 135bhp, nothing that wasn't available from IWR or BRM in period. The car came with JAE CV driveshafts, which I decided to leave.

My S2 has a 145bhp engine, TTR fast road suspension, a Voigt 5-speed with an uprated gear set, an ATB diff and JAE CV joints. I also fitted +2 front calipers, there are probably other mods, but I can't remember right now.

I love both cars, they are quite different, but similar...I know that's a contradiction. The S2 is really fast, it feels so light by comparison, it corners and rides superbly and will sit at 95 or 100 on motorways (overseas of course). The S3 is just a delight, I can't believe it's nearly fifty years old.

If I had to choose between the two, I think I'd go for the S3.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun May 15, 2016 11:47 am

We tend to restore cars for two distinct types of owners, those who want fully original down to the correct shade of paint because they want to experience what the car was like new with all its idiosyncrasies, then you get the other type who don't have any problem Changing the Colour or Interior colour/style fitting bigger brakes,better drive shafts,5 speed gear box etc etc so what they end up with is a modern driving car they don't have to tinker with so can jump in and just use.

For me i prefer classic cars as they left the factory warts and all simple because they have character that seems to go missing the more you Modernise it. But that's just my opinion.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Changing the Colour or Interior colour/style fitting bigger brakes,better drive shafts,5 speed gear box etc etc so what they end up with is a modern driving car

And what is it if these changes were made 40 years ago ?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun May 15, 2016 8:30 pm

billwill wrote:
Changing the Colour or Interior colour/style fitting bigger brakes,better drive shafts,5 speed gear box etc etc so what they end up with is a modern driving car

And what is it if these changes were made 40 years ago ?

Donuts ain't what they used to be.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon May 16, 2016 2:24 am

Actually, the S2 was a modified version of the S1. The S3 for the S2, the S4 for the S3, and finally the Sprint. All modifications of the original car.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 am

Mazzini wrote:I have an almost standard S3 S/E dhc and a modified S2.

The S3 has a slightly tuned engine, around 135bhp, nothing that wasn't available from IWR or BRM in period. The car came with JAE CV driveshafts, which I decided to leave.

My S2 has a 145bhp engine, TTR fast road suspension, a Voigt 5-speed with an uprated gear set, an ATB diff and JAE CV joints. I also fitted +2 front calipers, there are probably other mods, but I can't remember right now.

I love both cars, they are quite different, but similar...I know that's a contradiction. The S2 is really fast, it feels so light by comparison, it corners and rides superbly and will sit at 95 or 100 on motorways (overseas of course). The S3 is just a delight, I can't believe it's nearly fifty years old.

If I had to choose between the two, I think I'd go for the S3.

Mazzini, my S1 is built close to your S2 spec without the 5 speed Trans. It's very quick and handles extremely well. A total blast to drive on back country roads. I'm still fine tuning the suspension to get it dialed in just right, but it's always a work in progress.

I just finished rebuilding my S4. I find it to be a totally different car. A bit more refined and more of a "complete" sports car that is fine for sporty open air driving.

Of the two cars, the S1 is my favorite. I drove both cars yesterday back to back on the same roads. The S1 is a bit more of a raw sports car experience due to its simplicity and light weight. The HP and suspension "enhancements" I made on this car make it a pure driving experience that I just can't enough of. The S4 is a better touring sports car as you feel more enclosed in it and it presents itself with more creature comforts. It's also quick (I have a sprint engine in the S4) but responds differently. Some of that is due to having the donuts on the S4 where the S1 has sliding axle shafts.

I'd be happy with both, but I'm happier with the S1 :mrgreen:
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus