Broken springs

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:45 am

MOT day today, and the examiner couldn't fail to notice that both front springs were broken - sheared about 4 coils from the bottom in each case. These were Tony Thompson's "comfort" spring/damper unit, fitted about 6 years ago.

Has anyone else had this? I know there were concerns a while back with Spax units failing but as I remember it it was a problem with the damper unit rather than the spring.

Any recommendations for replacements?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Paddy, I'm in the US so maybe not much Help. I bought Spax at some point during my restoration, then latter springs from Dave Bean only to find after fitting the were too long and car sat too high and could not be adjusted. I ended up cutting the springs to correct length. Then while refitting I found one of the SPAX had failed. Totally frustrated, I ended up going the TT route. And they have been fine with correct height and adjustment.
I guess I'm trying to say, in the long run you may be better going back to TT and getting replacements. In the mean time if anyone in the US needs a NOS adjustable Spax and a set of springs, I have them. I will even throw in the NOS failed unit for free.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Paddy, I'm in the US so maybe not much Help. I bought Spax at some point during my restoration, then latter springs from Dave Bean only to find after fitting the were too long and car sat too high and could not be adjusted. I ended up cutting the springs to correct length. Then while refitting I found one of the SPAX had failed. Totally frustrated, I ended up going the TT route. And they have been fine with correct height and adjustment.
I guess I'm trying to say, in the long run you may be better going back to TT and getting replacements. In the mean time if anyone in the US needs a NOS adjustable Spax and a set of springs, I have them. I will even throw in the NOS failed unit for free.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Apologies for the irrelevance, but topical in this household

6 year oldl Eibachs on the Exige. Trackday at Goodwood this Saturday. Work to be done!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Now the units are off I see that the spring on one side is broken in 3 separate places, and the other one in 4 :(

TTR tell me that they've changed supplier for the springs since I got them.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: