69 Elan S4/SE DHC - Short video from the repair shop

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi folks - last Friday I visited the shop where my 69 Elan is being worked on and I took a short video of the car to document some of the upgrades in progress and I thought I'd share it with folks here.

https://youtu.be/o5SFTsH_hl4

Here's the description of the video:

Upgrades and repairs in progress on 1969 Lotus Elan S4/SE DHC.

Upgrades:
- New Coolex (UK) radiator
- New dual Weber 40 DCOE 151 carbs
- New throttle linkage
- New fuel delivery system (replaced mechanical pump with electric pump, regulator, etc.)
- Relocated coil from underneath carbs to side of radiator
- New Distributor cap/rotor
- New washer fluid bottle/bracket

Repairs/Maintenance
- Valve lash adjustment
- Significant amount of electrical wiring debug and correction
- Transmission/Differential fluid replacement
- Freeze plug replacement (exhaust manifold side)

Next steps planned:
- Suspension/Driveshaft coupling inspection and maintenance
- Brake system inspection and maintenance
- Dyno Tuning
- Install correct air box for Weber carbs and attach to K&N filter mounted in nose

Work being done by TurboHoses R&D and Dietsch Motorsports here in the San Francisco Bay Area (Livermore).
"What kind of a man are you? Don't you even like dolphins!?" - Zorba the Greek

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
66 Ford Mustang Conv. (289ci)
71 Cadillac Eldorado Conv. (8.2L)
65 Buick Wildcat Conv. (425ci)
And a pickup truck full of Miatas....
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:08 pm

What a gorgeous car you have! :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for your comment - I purchased this car from the previous owner about two years ago. He had owned the car for 40 years and did a restoration about 15 years ago - doing quite a bit of the work himself. The remaining planned current work should be completed w/in about 2-3 weeks. Assuming no other major issues pop up (fingers crossed), I should be out on the road soon - can't wait!

Rich

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Your Elan looks really nice! Jealous that you will be on the road soon. I have a ways to go.

I also have a 69 S4 SE DHC (original owner since new). I was curious on a couple of things on your build:

1. You have a Weber head. Was the car an original Federal car? I had Strombergs but have now changed to a new SAS Weber head. What is your VIN number? Mine is 45/9182.

2. I noticed that your engine does not have the tilt to the right (viewed from front). I assumed that when I put my engine back that I would have to use the higher Weber engine mount on the right side for clearance. Does the S4 not have any clearance problems on the bulkhead protrusion (right side - pedal box for RHD car). Did you have to make any mods for carb clearance?

3. It doesn't show in the video but you mentioned fitting the proper Weber air box. I found that using the stock S4/Sprint Weber air box decreased output by 3hp on the dyno. As a result I am getting a larger air box fabricated (copied from a 26R).

4. Is the white shown the original Lotus Cirrus White? Looks a bit brighter than mine (original paint). Very sharp looking regardless.

5. Since I am in the process of rewiring my S4 I noticed that the front harness on your car was not routed through the stock bulkhead hole but rather down further near the steering column hole. Probably not an option for me as I have a replacement harness that is configured like stock but your approach does look nice and clean, out of the way.

6. Lastly, noticed your tail lights are completely red, not the red/amber that one normally sees. My car came with the full red lenses but in my youth I swapped them out for the later red/amber thinking it made the car more "modern". No idea where those original lenses went some 45 years later. Wondering if the full red lenses are available somewhere.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi - thanks very much for your reply. Responses below....

1) I've included a pic of my vin plate below - my car is 45/9253, pretty close to yours in production it seems. I believe my car originally came with strombergs and was converted to a weber head by the original owner before the PO that I purchased the car from bought it.

2) When i received the car the rear carb did indeed have clearance problems. In fact a portion had been ground away from the bottom of the carb to resolve the issue. I had the engine mount replaced with the right one and that solved the problem - the new webers don't have a clearance issue.

3) Thanks for the info regarding the hp drop using the original style airbox - good to know what to expect. The shop that my car is at is going to dyno the engine both ways - with it on and off. I'll post the results here as well when I receive them. I like the look of the original airbox and plan to originally run it that way for now, but reserve the right to change my mind in the future :-)

4) I believe the white paint is brighter than the original lotus color. If I recall my conversation with the PO correctly he chose a brighter white - I'd have to look at the receipt he provided for the paint work to see if there is a color listed. The color suits the car well in person - I think the striped in lotus colors helps.

5) Thanks for the information on the wiring harness routing. I am still a newbie in understanding what's stock and what's not - the PO had the car completely rewired, so my guess is the current routing of the harness was decided upon at that time. I'll look for some pictures to better understand the stock routing.

6) I did a quick look at RD Enterprises web site and they do list the red lenses and their gasket, but it looks like it's a call to see if they have them in stock situation (pic below).

Look forward to seeing pics of your car as you make progress.
Attachments
screen-shot-2016-02-23-at-7.29.01-am.png and
img_4936.jpg and

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks for the response.

The tail light lenses shown on the RD site have the lower amber section (as far as I can tell) and are not completely red as yours appear to be. The later Sprints (and maybe S4's?) went to the two color lens at some point.

As I am now going to a custom air box I have a new S4/Sprint Weber backing plate and air box that I had recently purchased that I am not going to use. As I just converted to a Weber head I only had the Stromberg air box setup from before.

if you do not already have a Weber backing plate and air box, let me know if you have any interest. I am also in the SF Bay Area.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi - didn't notice the amber on the RD lenses until you pointed it out - i see.

Thanks for your offer on the weber airbox and backplate. I previously purchased both from RD Ent - the backplate was good and needed no mods, but the airbox wasn't pretty. It was pretty severely warped (didn't sit flush with the backing plate at all) and the finish had a spider web quality to it in places - like the paint didn't adhere fully. For some reason I decided to keep it - the folks at TurboHoses added fiberglass and reworked the bottom to get it to fit flush and refinished it. The re-done part looks great. I'll post some pics for the group here when I have the car back.

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm

1owner69Elan wrote:Thanks for the response.

The tail light lenses shown on the RD site have the lower amber section (as far as I can tell) and are not completely red as yours appear to be. The later Sprints (and maybe S4's?) went to the two color lens at some point.

No they didn't, many owners have fitted Euro lenses....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:30 pm

I now see from some older posts that the red lenses were ostensibly a US spec but there seems to be a lot of variation nevertheless. I remember changing the red lenses for red/amber sometime in the 70's. Pretty sure I bought the lenses in the US.

More recently purchased new red/amber ones out of the UK, as my current ones have some crazing in the plastic. Don't think there any current US regs requiring/banning either type.

Thanks for the clarification.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:32 am

Found this all red tail light on Kelsport.net while browsing parts - but it's very expensive and they only list the right hand one - no listing for the left hand light.

http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_d ... ctionID=42

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 pm

That's a very nice Elan, Rich. Hope you have been able to get it on the road.
Looking at your video at about 1:04, there is a container in front of the radiator left end, is that an Accusump?

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm

lovely elan, congrats: that optima battery really got to me: do you also carry a 12V microwave oven which calls for a battery which we used for electro race go karts???? ........ just inquisitive sandy ----- weight is every :mrgreen: thing
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 am

Hi Bob - we're still finding some new things that need to be addressed so unfortunately it'll probably be another week or two before it's back on the road. I had to look up what an accusump is :) I'm still in learning mode. This car doesn't have one, but you might be referring to the relocated coil in back of the radiator on the left? I used the bracket available from Cliveyboy.

Sandy - ha! The PO had the battery tray fabricated and put in and had an Optima battery installed. I actually had to replace the battery and just bought the same model. I've got get more into the Chapman mindset and start thinking about lightness. But first I'll settle for getting to drive the car. I'd only driven it about 150 miles before I decided to get it into the shop and have it checked out more thoroughly.

Rich

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:08 am

Rich, I just realized that the container I was looking at is the for radiator overflow. Okay, I hope you work though any problems and can enjoy the Elan before long. We have snow falling here.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: