New to forum

PostPost by: luffy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi All
Just joined the forum after reading some great posts.
Iv'e just bought an Elan S4 and a Europa, the Elan is up together but needs a fair bit of TLC,door alignment and window cable for example. I fired it up today for the first time, oil pressure wasn't as great as I'd expected and a bit slow to react?
Dynamo is not charging even though I think its new, so could be regulator?
Got a workshop book on the Elan (Brooklands) which I need to troll through.
Having been in F1 all my life a lot is common sense but this is my first restoration project.
The Europa is another story, its all there but engine out and in pieces , I'm not sure how to go about this, maybe rebuild all the suspension,brakes and get the engine back together and fitted and then check things out and after go for the repaint (both need paint).
Anyway there will be many questions to ask you all so look forward to meeting everyone?

Cheers
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Luffy,
Welcome, please post some pictures of your cars if you can. I must say you are a glutton for punishment taking on two projects at once!

If the S4 hadn't been run for a while it's normal that the oil pressure would build up slowly and perhaps lucky it built up at all if the pump was dry due to standing for a long time. In good health the oill pressure on a standard Lotus twin cam is generally 35-40 psi when hot at 2500 rpm and above, dropping to 15-20 psi at idle. From cold 40-60 psi. Lower figures are not a great cause of concern, but suspect any long standing non run engine as needing refreshing with new rings and oil seals.

There is an extremely helpful bunch of people on here who will help you along the way.

PS
Do tell about the F1 connections?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: luffy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 pm

front.jpg and
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: luffy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:59 pm

complete-car.jpg and
elan S4
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: luffy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Again
Started work at Brabhams with Jack in 69, then went to McLarens with Revson and Emerson Fittipaldi, left there to join Emersons Copasucar team. finished in 1980 have been freelance engineer since.
Engineer for Count Manfredo Rossi with his Lotus 80 F1 car and Osella + 2 formula Juniors and his Porsche 911. Keeps me of the streets?
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bulfin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Be sure to join the Yahoo Europa Group (about 20 messages a day lately) and there is lots of Europa info at
lotus-europa.com

Bob
Bob Bulfin
1969 Elan S4 DHC
Mobile, AL USA
bulfin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Welcome luffy, I have the same a sprint and a Europa tcs, you have good taste
all the best
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:52 am

Welcome to the forum.

You just need one more Lotus and then you will always have at least one running :D
But given your involvement in F1 you will be used to that !

cheers
Rohan

Elan S4 FHC historic race car - running
Plus 2S 130 / 5 - under full restoration
Esprit S1 - brake master cylinder on the bench for a rebuild currently
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:09 am

Welcome indeed! As a multiple Lotus owner I know you'll have plenty to occupy your time!

1967 Elan S3
1972 Europa TC
2005 Elise S2 111R
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:58 pm

bulfin wrote:Be sure to join the Yahoo Europa Group (about 20 messages a day lately) and there is lots of Europa info at
lotus-europa.com

Yes, between the two groups you'll be able to quickly get all of the information you need. Very knowledgeable and friendly folk in both camps. :)

Since your Europa engine is in bits already and the big difference (assuming both have the same carbs and therefore exhaust port design) is the alternator pulley extension on the Europa camshaft, I'd recommend enjoying the Elan while you learn all about Twinks on the Europa.

Suspension work on the Europa is straightforward body-on, with the biggest challenge being the condition of the rear hub bearings. If your chassis is sound, no need for body-off unless you want to.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: luffy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks Dnicholls. just to spread myself around the Elan is on Stromburgs and Europa Dellorto!!!
Thanks also to the forum on door hinges mega advice the square would have kept me guessing for hours. Mission successful on drivers side today. still trying to get bottom to line up better but I think its a 2 man job? one inside to tighten bolts and the other outside pushing.
Started on the broken window cable today, how does the motor stop when fully closed? The guy I bought from said he had tried to do this but looks like cable snapped????? Hard to believe from stainless? Would have expected pully's to break first?
Attachments
window-and-frame.jpg and
T
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:33 pm

luffy wrote:left there to join Emersons Copasucar team. finished in 1980

Welcome to the forum! Sounds as though you were at Copersucar for some of Harvey Postlethwiate's time. I think it may have been 1980 when I was at the USGP at Watkins Glen and had a very long chat with Harvey in the garages on the Saturday night before the race. It seems he was there to support the mechanics if anything went wrong during the usual Saturday night rebuilds. He ended up giving us a very long lecture on methods for bending/forming the aluminum honeycomb sandwich used in the chassis. Perhaps you were there as well.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: luffy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Yes Russ, that was my era, Harvey was a great mate of mine, having spent a lot of time at Hesketh in the early days he was always up for a party.
At copersucar he opened the world to aluminium nomex core honeycomb. we built our next chassis (the F 07) from this, using a router to groove out and then using (ratchet tie downs) to bend the monocoque into shape around the bulk heads.
Big loss to me and the rest of the F1 circus.

Hey this was supposed to be a Lotus web site? Ha Ha
luffy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Luffy,
I remember Harvey talking about cutting a groove in the sandwich but he didn't let on about using a router. The Hesketh garage at Watkins Glen a few years earlier was quite a sight. I was momentarily pressed into service to pass a tray of proper champagne glasses, filled with champagne of course, over the top of Hunt's car at the end of the last Saturday practice session.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 am

>how does the motor stop when fully closed?

It doesn't. It just stalls and you are supposed to remove your finger from the switch.

The window switches are MOMENTARY type and return to OFF when you remove your finger.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: