Elan S4 rebuild - my story chapter 2

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:58 am

Crash pad vents repainted and ready for installation. So far the plan is on schedule :)

image.jpeg and
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DrinkMan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Glen,

Question about dash and electrical - do you plan on putting in a radio (like a Retrosound era appropriate appearing unit with USB port) or a cover plate? If just a cover plate, is there wiring ready for a stereo?

Yes, I know the only sound system that is critical is the exhaust, but having some background tunes makes a good drive a little better.
Life is too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers but not at same time
66 Elan S2 S/E
05 Elise
68 Lancia Fulvia
68 Merc 280S
69 Alfa Spider
72 BMW 2000tii tour
73 Opel GT
73 Triumph TR6
73 Porsche 914
74 Alfa GTV
79 Triumph Spitfire
03 Jag XKR
DrinkMan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi Dan, just finished installing the dash (full post to follow tomorrow) and I have a cover plate, no radio. The doors have round cut-outs in the fiberglass for speakers, but the door trim panels are intact and have no cut outs for speakers.

Here is what I have done for years with my older cars if I want tunes; I have a Scosche Boom Bottle that has a nicad rechargeable battery and Bluetooth. And my trusty iPhone with more hours of music loaded than I can listen to in one day. The boom bottle is Velcro strapped to the floor (anywhere) and the iPhone is in the glove box. Instant music and very good sound. And no one is tempted to steal the radio because there isn't one :D

Additionally, I would suggest if you wanted a stereo in an Elan, you would be wise to switch to an alternator instead of the generator this car has (as original).
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Chilly Saturday morning. 9 degrees F. Got up at 5am to preheat the garage as I knew it would take much longer and Drew won't work in the cold (neither will I).

As identified in my last post, the plan was to finish the install of the crash pad, vents, dash, trim pieces and steering wheel.

We screwed the crash pad vents in place and then put the dash in place and carefully worked under the interior of the car to route the wiring loom and heater hoses. Several times we tested all the switches to insure nothing had disconnected or moved. For some reason Drew likes working under the steering column routing wiring, so I was busy on other things to complete the interior of the car.

dsc07723.jpg and
Drew working on wiring loom details

I was admiring the nicely installed vents when I realized I didn't install the tenax studs and trim washers for the tonneau cover. Of course, now that the dash was firmly in place the unbolting and rebolting of the British standard screws and nuts for the crash pad vents took twice as long with a few hand cramps along the way. But they got done the right way.

dsc07725.jpg and
Crash pad vent with Tenax studs

dsc07726.jpg and
Tenax stud in corner of crash pad for tonneau cover

Lots of little details in routing the wiring harness. We wired tied the loom as cleanly as possible. I have seen too many Elans with a jungle of wiring behind the dash. Not this car! Screwed in the blank plate where the optional radio goes (making sure the grain matched) and screwed in the ash tray. Bolted in the shift lever, installed the center console and screwed on the shift knob. Starting to look like a completed car :D

dsc07731.jpg and
Dash installed

We had completely vacuumed the carpeting in great detail and I re-installed the passenger seat and routed the proper period shoulder belts for the S4.

dsc07732.jpg and
passenger seat installed with proper period shoulder belt

Drew was still working on the wiring. We couldn't figure out why the horn was always "hot" and would go off the second we turned the ignition on. Lots of testing of all the connections, rechecking the wiring diagram, researching posts on the internet........everything and we could not figure it out. Then all of a sudden Drew has this brilliant thought about the glove box anti-theft switch, flips it in the opposite direction and guess what? No horn! So, it seems that if you active the anti-theft switch (which cuts power to the coil) and you forget to turn it off, the second you turn on the ignition the horn goes off to say "dummy, you forgot the anti-theft switch so don't crank the engine 'cause it wont start". OK then. Problem solved.

Bolted in the steering column supports and aligned the steering column.

We go about test fitting the "Colin Chapman" signed steering wheel and take note of what parts we need to finish this installation (email to Ray at RD Enterprises).

dsc07738.jpg and
Interior close to complete

Drew and I are close to finishing the interior and all the electrical connections. We figure one more full day and should have everything buttoned up with the steering wheel installed, door panels installed, the drivers seat back in, choke and heater cables installed. The steering column needs painting so a large masking job will be in order and then the mounting the bonnet and if (a Big if) the weather cooperates go for a test drive!

Stay tuned for the progress in two weeks (sorry guys, I'm taking next weekend off).
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Glen and Drew
Good luck with the start up! You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others who might be afraid to tackle many of these DIY projects. Your documented rebuilds will no doubt be of great value to those encountering similar issues. The eventual owner of this project will be a lucky Elan owner! And yes if you haven't already guessed, I am blowing smoke in the hopes you will let me drive it on my next visit :lol:
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Better hurry Chris, I already have a couple of people looking at it. Once it's done I don't expect it to be here very long. Then I can go back to working on my S1 which I have a list of things to do :mrgreen:
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 am

Spent a little bit of time today gluing the edge seams on the door cards as the vinyl wasn't adhered very well. Lucky for me I have a well equipped wood shop to use as I have a large collection of clamps that I needed to use :D
image.jpeg and
Clamping the glued edge of vinyl trim for doors
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 am

The weather gods smiled upon us today. It was 60 degrees F by noon with sunny blue skies and no wind. It's the end of February and its almost unbelievable. This is convertible weather. Time to finish up the S4 !

Drew and I started at our normal 7am and went thru our list to be completed today. The objective was a road test, but before hand we had to finish up a number of things before the moment we have been waiting for......a test drive! We thought about just jumping in the car and taking off, but we are far too disciplined to take any shortcuts.

We installed the choke cable and attached it to the two carbs. First part of the day that was missing, the little choke cable barrels with screw stops made just for the weber carbs. I had one, but not the other. Drew suggested I look in my Weber parts box and I did without much conviction.........only to find a small brown envelope with two of them in the packet. One of them had a bad thread on them but with some careful measuring to find out the exact thread pitch we fixed it in no time and finished the install of the choke cable with the proper parts!

dsc07748.jpg and
Measuring thread pitch

dsc07749.jpg and
First carb with choke cable install

dsc07750.jpg and
Second carb with missing choke cable barrel

dsc07751.jpg and
Almost Finished choke cable install

I tackled the interior, installing the door cards, steering wheel, horn, door checks, seat brackets and then vacuumed the interior. It was starting to look like a finished car!

dsc07752.jpg and
Interior done!

I am missing the rear view mirror and the key I have for the glove box doesn't work, but I'm close to completing the interior.

Drew finished up the odds and ends wiring in the front engine bay. We attached the vacuum hoses for the lights and then went about tightening each and every hose clamp to insure everything was buttoned up. I poured more anti-freeze in the radiator, checked the engine oil, brake fluid, and clutch fluid levels. All good.

dsc07756.jpg and
Completed engine bay

Now it was time to roll the car outside and start it up! We poured some gas into the webers so the fuel pump didn't have to work so hard and after a few cranks the engine started right up :mrgreen: We waited until the engine got warm, watched the temp gauge and the fan came on exactly at the right point. Drew wanted to balance the carbs one more time (perfectionist).

dsc07764.jpg and
Re-Balancing the webers

dsc07761.jpg and
Fine tuning the Weber's before our drive.

With everything checked out and running like a top, we were off for a drive. Now remember, I haven't installed the bumpers, don't have a license plate and decide not to put the bonnet on in case we need to do some quick work on the engine while on the road. Off we went!

dsc07771.jpg and
Glen driving

dsc07774.jpg and
Drew driving
Last edited by Certified Lotus on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:43 am

Drew and I took turns screaming down the road and giving the S4 a little workout. Performed like a charm! This is one torquey engine with very nice mid-range. The alignment was spot on and the suspension is firm but not harsh. Did a couple hard brake stops that clearly demonstrated everything was in order. It looked a little odd with no bonnet or bumpers and years of garage dirt on it, but the finished car will soon be done.

dsc07780.jpg and
S4 sans bumpers and bonnet

dsc07788.jpg and
Big smile on Drew finally driving the S4!

After our small road trip, we put the car back in the garage and up on the lift to check things out and make a new list of what needs to be completed.
dsc07790.jpg and
More work before completed

One of things we noticed was the red light for the generator stayed on during our drive. Out came the volt meter and after a number of tests determined the generator was not putting out enough voltage. We pulled it out and its off to be overhauled. The valves are noisier than we would like so a valve adjustment needs to be done next week. The clutch needs adjusting and I'm going to bleed the brakes again for good measure. I've got lots of keys but they only fit the ignition and the drivers door. Will order new lock sets. Then a complete buffing of the entire car, touch up some scratches in the paint and put the emblems and bumpers back on.

I've got limited time in March to work on the S4, but anticipate completion in time for April sports car driving weather :)
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Congrats guys! Great to see it moving :D
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks Phil! Big smiles on our faces yesterday :D
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:01 pm

I've really enjoyed reading your journey.
You're lucky ( as we all are ) to have a great friend, understanding family and access to decent beer.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:09 am

Graeme, glad you found my build post enjoyable. My friend Drew is a great motivation and inspiration. The rebuilding of my S1 and S4 are the first time I have worked with another person and I have to admit it's been very enjoyable. Drew and I have different skills and we are good to bounce ideas off each other. The biggest advantage is when you get stuck on something or frustrated, the other person takes over with a different approach.

My wife doesn't mind the garage work. She knows where I am and recognizes how much I enjoy the work as a hobby. I'm just careful not to have it be all time consuming ;-)

Good beer in the garage fridge is a must!
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Great stuff Glenn!

What's next after this one?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I'm looking for another S1. If someone has one (in the US) that needs some work, let me know!
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear