26R

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:49 am

Deat Tim,I am not sure it is the same car ...Give a look to internal mirror arrangement ....
Regards
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Roger
You have been racing twin cams as long as me so you know the challenges and your engine builder well :lol:

If sleeving a block back from 85mm to I presume an FIA allowed 83.5mm you need to ultrasonically thickness check the material in the block behind the sleeve. Less than 2 mm and it will probably fail quickly under racing stresses, above about 2.5 mm its probably Ok. In between its a risk. Once the backing cast bore material behind the sleeve cracks then the sleeve soon cracks after that.

You may find starting with a new Ford Motorsport block or a second hand 1500 block is not that more expensive than sleeving your existing block especially as you will probably need to do a new line bore on the block after sleeving.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Dear Rohan you are going to be surpised but block at 85 mm is not lined and the sonic measurement gives an average of 4 to 4.5mm thickness but a quarter of girth inlet side thickness is only between 3 to 3.5mm At 3mm of minimal thickness engine builder says it is worthy to use liners to come back to 83.5 And I must add that I have a second elan (not 26 R) I race and that engine must be renewed this winter So two engines at same moment...I am not poor but yet retired so I have (sometimes) to count my pennies
PS: I forgot to say that block is marked L.A.A in front I suppose that's the reason why....but not sure... I think I remember somebody from Holbay trying to explain me something about that 20 years ago
Best regards
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Your engine builder knows what he is talking about. 3 to 4 mm wall thickness on a 85 mm bore is a rare block and at the top end of the variation range I have measured. I have a couple of 120E blocks here that are similar but you need to test lots of blocks to find them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Dear Rohan I have a total blind faith in this person ...I race his engines for such a long period that I do not remember our first common job (more or less 25 or30 years)..It is at least my 6 or 7th engine and we only have had 1 or 2 bad surprises (always because trying some exotical solutions) and knowing it could be unreliable...and against his will...Now he is retired but he goes on for his friends uniquely...We are a very few persons (if we can say so in english...) best regards
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Tim and Roger,

The Surbiton Motor's Shapecraft number 34 in Roger's photo is the same car as Shapecraft number 115 (behind Elan number 112) in Tim's photo. The main difference is the white half circle on the front of number 114, driven by Barry Wood. Les Arnold was the driver in number 34/115.

Ian
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Pfffftt what a vista, I hadn't even remarked the second shapecraft ( in fact the zandvoort one) behind 112 congratulation ian...In belgium we would add...is it possible to know the color of the driver's shoes... :lol:
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Dear friends of lotus elan.net,I just have a small question nothing to do with 26-R-14....First race of my championship will take place this year at hockenheim and as I have never been their,can somebody gives me an idea of rear axle ratio to use there knowing that car is fitted with yokohama 048 R of 575mm diameter and revs at7800 rpm max fourth gear being 1 to1 ratio as authorized by F.I.A To thank good wiling here is a picture of the car I use which is not (only this one) a genuine 26-R Very best regards to all Roger
Attachments
doc143.jpg and
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm

looks like Roger is getting ready to part with his precious find...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/121927/lotus-elan-26r

670242.jpg and
26-R-14 as advertised on RRD
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: