New member and Elan owner

PostPost by: PC777 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:08 am

Hello to everyone here, I have been lurking for a while and have now joined up as I am now the new custodian of a 1967? S3 S/E Elan.

Just a brief background on me and how I came about this car.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

Firstly I am not new to Lotus ownership as I previously owned a Lotus 7 for 25 years.

This was a great car and I managed to do a lot with it in the time I owned it.
It was one of the very few Series 2 ? as people refer to it, basically as Series 2 with a Xflow engine but Standard Ten rear axle.

Anyhow on to the Elan, I had a good friend who was a Lotus man through and through having owned 5 at one time. In his later years he had cut down to 4, two Europa's a Seven and an Elan.

Unfortunately he passed away about tree years ago and in his will he had left two cars to some close friends as he had no immediate family.

This left the other two cars, I assumed that they would just be sold at auction by the executor of the will. As it happened once people get a whiff that there are some cars going they start making enquiries, usually trying to pick them up cheap to on sell at a profit.

Well as I had known this man for around 30 years I decided to step in and secure the Elan.

So here it is, I have posted a few pictures for you and would appreciate any feed back as to it's possible history. My Late friend had owned it for about 20 years, and it is in need of total restoration. However I will try to get it going so I can review the major items that will need attention first.

I will look forward to any response for the forum members here.

All the best to all here.

P.S. I sold the Seven for a 230SL a car I have always wanted, now with the Elan I figure I have the best of both worlds.

Regards

Paul
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Paul and welcome.
The car looks pretty original and will be great fun to bring back to life for sure. It left the factory on 27th Jan '67 with engine number LP7387,,,,does the car still have that engine? If you look between the carbs to where the engine mounting bolts onto the engine, the number is stamped onto the horizontal face of the block....you'll need a torch!

What are your plans for the car....a complete restoration or get her going and see what's what? I'm sure that all the rubber bits and the hydraulics will need overhauling as a minimum, but you may well find that she will fire up without much fuss.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:07 am

Welcome Paul
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Hi Paul and welcome.
The car looks pretty original and will be great fun to bring back to life for sure. It left the factory on 27th Jan '67 with engine number LP7387,,,,does the car still have that engine? If you look between the carbs to where the engine mounting bolts onto the engine, the number is stamped onto the horizontal face of the block....you'll need a torch!

What are your plans for the car....a complete restoration or get her going and see what's what? I'm sure that all the rubber bits and the hydraulics will need overhauling as a minimum, but you may well find that she will fire up without much fuss.

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your prompt reply.

I had a look at the engine number and the Registration papers say: LP7367LBA but it looks like IP7367LPA, bit hard to read correctly even with a torch.

There are a few non original bits added, like an ammeter in the dash as one of the most obvious.

At this stage I intend to change all the fluids including the fuel, check all the fuel/brake lines and clean the carbies, then see if it will fire up. The car had been in use prior to my friends passing but judging by the amount of oily residue over the back end I would say it needs some serious attention.

I am thinking one of the earliest major jobs will be to pull the engine and gear box and rebuild them. While they are out I will look at what else I can tidy up for now.

I am hoping to be able to use the car for a while before taking it off the road for a complete restoration.
I need to do a lot of research before I start down that road.

I intend to keep this car for as long as possible.

Paul
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: BabyDriver » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 am

I think it's best to keep the car on the road and use it. As long as you can. Then tidy up bits as you go. If you take it off the road for engine and gearbox restoration one thing will certainly lead to another and it could be off the road for some time. As I say best to use it.
BabyDriver
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 am

Welcome! I have a a very similar car only a couple of hundred chassis numbers apart. Your car looks lovely.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Welcome- looks like a good vehicle.
As it has been unused for a while I think I would replace the flexible brake hoses before driving it. They do have a tendency to swell internally and when you put he brakes on they will not release!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:24 am

Welcome, Paul. It seems a fine, original car. Lovely color, too.

Wow, so many years with a Seven! l am assuming your 230SL is a Pagoda Roof? That is a car I've always wanted, too.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:42 am

nice car paul and welcome to the gang! my lil baby makes a lot of noise here in appenzell switzerland - i usually get a middle finger every time i hit the road - thats life greetings from the alps sandy 36 / 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello again,

I have had a few interesting cars over the years.

Here is a photo of my old Lotus 7

Here is one of my 230SL

and Lastly one of my old Formula Junior, one off car called the Koala-Ford.

If anyone is interested, I used to photograph the monthly Lotus runs here in Adelaide, many of the photo's can be found here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pc777/l ... login=true

Just select the Month/Year in the left hand column.

PC
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi PC

I have seen the Koala a few times at historic events - Roger Eland now races it and takes it all around the world to FJ events

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 am

rgh0 wrote:Hi PC

I have seen the Koala a few times at historic events - Roger Eland now races it and takes it all around the world to FJ events

cheers
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

hows things? Yes you are right, I sold it to him a few years back now.

There is a Lotus connection to it in case you did not know.

The Man who designed and built it was the late John Joyce, he built the Koala-Ford and after a season went to work for Lotus for about 7 years. He then came back to Australia and built the successful Bowin Racing cars.

My understanding is that he had a bit to do with the Lotus 30 and 47.

Rohan do you still have all those bit's I sold you, I might need some of them back :D

Good to hear from you.

All the best

PC
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Paul

I still have most of the blocks, cleaned and thickness checked and in my stock for when I need them.
The Stromberg heads have been converted by McCoy and are now being used for racing engines.

I kept the other bits of value in a twin cam (eg sumps, rear seal carriers, cam shafts) but most of the old push rod specific bits have gone to the metal recyclers, I kept a few bits such as heads that were in good enough condition to potentially be reused if I ever have a need to build up a cross flow or pre cross flow push rod engine.

I just booked my accommodation for Lotus 2015 next October in the Barossa Valley- guess I will see you there

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbee » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Paul

She looks great :D

I just drove our new S3 SE Coupe back to Tassie last weekend from Sydney. Great fun.

Cheers John
67 Elan S3 SE Coupe
2003 Elise Type 25
1974 Yamaha TZ 350
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
jbee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: PC777 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Rohan,

Yes you should see us there, although I don't know if I will have the Elan in any fit state. But I will try.

Hi John, I just had a look at your post, great pair of Lotus you have, the Elan looks absolutely fabulous.

Making me envious, I need to get started on mine...

PC
PC777
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: