Making a 26R/ GTS copy

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Nearing the end of building a classic mini for my son and having had my S4 for nearly 30 years I'm starting to get an itch that I may have to scratch.
I've always loved the 26R s looks but sadly an original is beyond budget and I've checked out all the local barns.
I'd welcome comments, both positive and negative, about building a replica. I have BBs book, is that as good a reference as any? S1 or S2 donor?
The car would do some track work, but I wouldn't necessarily look to get FIA accreditation for racing. I have my licence and an exige for that. It would mainly be for driving my large smile around the roads of Sussex
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Hello, may I ask, if you just want to "drive fast around a bit", would it not be cheaper start with "any" Elan ?
Instead of "sacrifizing" a S1/S2, which always will be more expensive, why not start putting the "clothes" on a cheaper S4 ? Just a thought ...

Regards
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:40 pm

I have an Elan S3/S4 on my website with 26R fenders. Full Spyder car. Car is for sale.

www.lotusowners.com

As far as making a replica clone. I think you will spend about $75K to do a first class job. Maybe a bit less.

It is very possible as my friend who has a real 26R, just did so. He does not want to drive the 26R any longer due to the value.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seriouslylotus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Graeme
Give me a call if you like, as you know I have just started a project exactly like you are asking about!!
Regards
Dave
seriouslylotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

seriouslylotus wrote:Graeme
Give me a call if you like, as you know I have just started a project exactly like you are asking about!!
Regards
Dave

Thanks Dave,
It was seeing yours that got the juices flowing.
I'll call you when back in the UK. (Need some bits from you for the Exige at some point anyway- not a sequential!)

As for converting an S4- I feel that would be even more 'wrong' than a 1/2. However, as said all opinions welcome. My own S4 has too much blood sweat and tears attached to it to convert, but I may need to sell it to afford the project.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 pm

I built a GTS from an S2 that didn't have a decent body or chassis to start with, so I wasn't desecrating anything. I race it and it is getting sorted to the point it's reasonably competitive.

If you want to build something classy that looks like a 26R but is just for track days, I would think you could do it for ?30,000 - ?40,000 depending on what you start with. If you want the full replica at less than 580kg, with proper brakes, magnesium parts, wheels, race spec engine, gearbox, diff etc etc then it is going to be more like ?70,000.

I think it's brilliant that you can still get all the parts to do it.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 am

Hi

I'm building a very similar S4 to the Red one with spyder chassis/suspension 26R arches. It was a complete dog to start with and I'm building this one the way I want it rather than original, which my previous nine Lotus largely were. Project stalled a few years ago due to other commitments, I must find time to get on with it again.
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 am

A stock car, on average when sold, always brings better money than a modified car.
So, if you have the itch to do a 26.....scratch it with less than something stock.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:34 pm

cal44 wrote:A stock car, on average when sold, always brings better money than a modified car.
So, if you have the itch to do a 26.....scratch it with less than something stock.

Accepted. There seems little point in undoing someone's work. Ideally it would be a log book and a pile of bits.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 pm

Funny you should say that... Drop me a PM - I have bunch of options that might work for you. Best. Rob
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: