Sprint Wheels

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:09 pm

My wheels were powder coated in the late 1980's and they are still looking good. The only marks were where I missed with the hammer getting they wheel off. :oops: No flaking yet ..

I have Vredestein DOT 2012 Sprint 155/ R13 78H tyres fitted and am very happy with them, bought an extra tyre off eBay as a spare for about ?35 earlier this year. You can get two for ?65 from MyTyres on eBay at the UK (http://r.ebay.com/57n86J )

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:46 pm

like many things.....there is powder coating, and then there is proper powder coating......
I have seen huge variation in finish and quality.......like many things, probably all in the preparation...

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Elanconvert wrote:like many things.....there is powder coating, and then there is proper powder coating......
I have seen huge variation in finish and quality.......like many things, probably all in the preparation...

:D fred :D

Exactly..... Usually the price is a direct reflection of the Quality / Longevity.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprint4dm » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for the replies, I was quoted ?20 per wheel for stripping and powder coating in satin Black, the company seemed very busy and were doing lots of wheels most of them were for Land Rovers but I did see some vintage wire wheels from a 1927 Austin Chummy and they looked very good.

The Vredestein tyres seem a sensible price has anyone any bad reports about them

Cheers
Dave
Lotus Elan Sprint
sprint4dm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

I have a pair of vredestein sprint. they re ok. Cost less but offer less grip than my XAS.

So I put them in front and XAS at the rear.

My XAS are nearly worn out, the vredestein much harder compound are perfectly fine.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

I have a pair of vredestein sprint. they re ok. Cost less but offer less grip than my XAS.

So I put them in front and XAS at the rear.

My XAS are nearly worn out, the vredestein much harder compound are perfectly fine.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Ian Jemison Engineering near York straighten and true steel Lotus Elan wheels for ?20, they also powder coat on site to a very high standard.

Does anybody know of a place in the SouthEast (UK) who can straighten and true Elan wheels?
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Does anybody know of a place in the SouthEast (UK) who can straighten and true Elan wheels?

That would be great if we could find someone round out way Kev as I need mine doing too. I emailed that Ian Jemison place but didn't get a reply so not sure if they would really want to do them anyway. Might try phoning them one day. Still saving up for a set of Minilites as I think this is the only real solution.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm

It's a family business and they always seem to be working flat out, Ian is probably not the most computer literate person, but I am sure he will pick up the phone.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 pm

MWS used to be at Jeddo Road, Shepherds Bush, London.

They could straighten or re-rim steel wheels. They salvaged some Morgan steel wheels for me.

They also made some bespoke rims on VW beetle centres for me.

They are now at Langley near Slough, I don't know if they are still up for this type of work.

They say they do classic steel wheels: -

http://www.mwsint.com/site/cms/contentC ... tegory=216

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: