Elan Sprint Jack and handle

PostPost by: ken ob » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Nick, the u shaped platform fits under the (usually black painted) edge of the sills.
The u shaped bit does rotate a little.

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Ken,

Good grief, you're quite right, I must be blind.

I've just been to the garage to have a look. It would fit the body in the center, around the area of the seat, where there's a proper channel for it. Presumably it would jack the whole side of the car up. I last used mine a couple of years ago, next to the wheel arches, where the floor is flat. Just to lift a corner. I stuck a block of wood in the U section.

Now I fully appreciate what an incredibly valuable piece of equipment it is! Where the heck did I put it? ;-)

Thanks,

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 am

fasterbyelan wrote:
vernon.taylor wrote:Yes, I think the one in the back is for a Ford Cortina. They go for silly money, too.

@+

Vernon

What is silly money? Do I need to put my original jack in the safe? :wink:

How about 300-450 pounds... :shock:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:20 am

What is silly money? Do I need to put my original jack in the safe? :wink:[/quote]

How about 300-450 pounds... :shock:[/quote]

Good Grief.......300-450 pounds......... My Elan came with the Jack + ratchet and a tool kit with the lead hammer for the wheels all original :shock: :shock:

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Just be thankful that you're not trying to find a jack for your Daytona or Dino!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-Ferrari ... 1c4639ee70

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Good god, that is totally rediculous:

Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:08 pm

That's the cheap one! They get a bit more pricey when gleaming and like new...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-Dino- ... 1c4639eed0

Of course, these are only restored ones. NOS items do get expensive!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Totally nuts, I remember when you could buy a complete Dino for ?30,000 in the 80's...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Please Please someone send it to China.com and explain how we are prepared to pay for good parts that don't fall apart or rot within a couple of months.

However given Italy is pretty much up in the top ten for copying I am surprised someone is not reproducing.

I am glad my 308 has still its original jack and tool box but is does tempt me to sell it.

Regards

Steve
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:19 am

Plus 2 wrote:However given Italy is pretty much up in the top ten for copying I am surprised someone is not reproducing.

Steve

At that price how do you know it is not a new reproduction ? Do Ferrari offer certificates of authenticity for their jacks?? :roll:

When I bought my Elan in the Mid seventies I looked at a Dino and decide not to buy it as it was about $3000 more than my Elan I bought. Worst decision from an investment perspective I have ever made but the best decision from a driving pleasure ( an maintenance cost!) perspective

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:14 am

rgh0 wrote:
Plus 2 wrote:However given Italy is pretty much up in the top ten for copying I am surprised someone is not reproducing.

Steve

At that price how do you know it is not a new reproduction ? Do Ferrari offer certificates of authenticity for their jacks?? :roll:

Rohan

Not sure I quite understand this comment or the rolly eyes.

Authenticity is one of the easiest things to establish.

Original pressings, castings or mouldings have marks quite unique like fingerprints that no one would be able to replicate.

I have inspected copies and filed reports or affidavits for litigation having spent many years dealing with copyright and patents from when I ran my own OE autoparts design company.

Regards

Steve
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:40 am

When I bought my Elan in the Mid seventies I looked at a Dino and decide not to buy it as it was about $3000 more than my Elan I bought. Worst decision from an investment perspective I have ever made but the best decision from a driving pleasure ( an maintenance cost!) perspective ..

Rohan.

You could start a whole web site on this discussion....

I did a similar thing but sold my S2 years ago to buy a 911 2.4S... sold it after two years.......$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I digress
The really daft thing about the cost of exotic tooling like the Ferrari Jack, is the same one fits Maseratis of that era and probably others and they were off the shelf items at the time and come from quite pedestrian cars.. find the car take the jack... throw away the car make nice profit from the jack.
Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 am

[quote="Plus 2
Not sure I quite understand this comment or the rolly eyes.
Authenticity is one of the easiest things to establish.

Steve[/quote]

I guess that was exactly my point -sorry if the humour was obscure about jack authentication certificates.

If you are buying something for that amount of money you need to make sure its a true original Ferrari jack and not some knock off copy or substituted part

Now if your an expert in Ferrari jacks then I am sure you could verify its original and worth the money but if your not and don't have access to the original manufacturers database of tool markings and manufacturing techniques or its equivalent how do you verify some yellow painted old jack is a true Ferrari original and not a copy or one from a Fiat or something else that used the same jack at the time. If people can fake old masters paintings and fool experts in museums then faking a bit of steel cant be all that hard to pass off to people with more money than sense on Ebay.

I am glad that for most people Lotus is still for driving not bragging on in the pub about matching numbers originality down to the jack handle and air in the tyres

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:53 am

Blimey Mark, you started something here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-Dino- ... 1c4639ee89

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-Dino- ... 1c463b581b

Now then chaps, who on here wants our cars to really start appreciating in value?

Tim

PS A bit of intelligence on Eddie Walsh: http://www.ferrarispares.co.uk/aboutus.html then take a look at his Dino spares page ...
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:03 am

Rohan, I know a lot of Elan owners / collectors for whom originality, matching numbers, original jack and tools are pre-requisites for ownership. That number is growing as the values increase, along with an increase in the quality of the cars.

It's a different sort of enthusiasm to driving / modifying / racing the cars, but most definitely a real enthusiasm which is certainly a large part of the classic car scene in the UK. I'm not quite sure how this will change over the coming 20 years or so as we baby-boomers start to need to fund care homes instead of collections of 1960s cars, but for sure, it will change.

But that's a whole new topic!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: