Speedo parts or heater air box first

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, thanks to my good friend Greg I'm back focused on putting the Elan together. Here is my next question to all of you knowledgeable fellow nut cases.

The body shell is bare. What order should I install the following parts?

Wiper assembly

Heater Air Box

Pedal assembly

And I will also be installing Dyno Mat. Should that also be installed before anything else?

As always, I look forward to your expertise and recommendations. Thank you.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:31 pm

When I did it I had the wiper assembly in first, the pedals second and the heater last. I am not sure if that's the best way, but it made the most sense to me and worked great.

Is Dyno Mat sound proofing? If so, it really depends where you are putting it, but I'd think you should avoid it getting in the way and would install the wiper and the pedals before it, but the heater after. I say that, as, if I remember correctly, felt goes under the heater over the transmission tunnel, so you might do the same with your mat stuff.

Regards,
Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Before you put the wiper assembly back in, mark the lugs on the headlight relay that is attached. Once it's up there there is no way your old eyes are going to be able to tell C1 from C2 or W1. I use a big magic marker. If you don't want to deface the relay, you can use some removeable tape. I learned this the hard way.

Test the old wiper motor before you install it. I learned this the hard way.

If you are going to put in insulation or Dynatape, fit the insulation into the pedalbox footwell area before you put in the pedal box. Saves some fiddleing around the pedals. I still havn't learned this.

Do not over insulate the area under the heater box, it raises the heater which throws the alignment off of the clip that holds it in place. I learned this the hard way.

If you powdercoated the pedal assembly, sand, clean and grease the end that goes into the pivot tube. Otherwise it may not fit and pivot freely.

Glad to hear you are back on track!
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: