Elan Sprint

PostPost by: umby » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:53 pm

I am going to buy a lotus Elan Sprint, 1971, red and white, left drive, chassie number 7108000193K.
I would like to know if it is the most power and sport version except the racing version.
I saw a pictur of the engine of the car that i will buy. The radiator is not next the engin as in many picturs i saw. It is more in the front under the body with a big fan on the back, between the radiator and the engine. It is possible?

many thanks if you can replay also to [email protected]
Umberto Ferrari
Modena
Italy
umby
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:33 am

Umberto,
The radiator in the nose is a popular upgrade to an earlier car. It is difficult on a later car, such as the Sprint due to the fail safe headlight cannister location. Perhaps others can chime in as to whether or not the failsafe cannister was on the non federal Sprints. If not, consider it a cooling system upgrade.

Technically, the Sprint has the most powerful engine of all the Elans but it also weighs more. Whether or not it is sportier can only be determined by you. You'll need to drive various models to see the difference.

Greg Z.
'72 Sprint (of course I'm biased)
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dlbarnes1 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:35 am

Umberto,
The ID number indicates the car was constructed in Aug 71 as a Federal model for the US. I have a Federal Elan Sprint constructed in Oct 71.
This model was configured with a Stromberg carb emission system using crossover pipes, mixture preheat, and primary-secondary throttle valves.
Also, the Federal has a lower compression ratio, different cams and different ignition timing than the UK and European models. All this to meet US emission regulations.
Needless to say, this model doesn't have the performance of the non-Federal Sprint.
If this car is in Europe, there has probably been some degree of conversion to the non-Federal configuration.
David
dlbarnes1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:09 pm

Hi Umberto

As David says, it should be an early Sprint built for export to the U.S. That's what the 'K' stands for.
Check the carburettors: Does it have Webers or Dell'Orto or Strombergs? If it has a flat bonnet, then it is not a Stromberg.
Strombergs were standard on U.S. cars and you need a new cylinder head to go back to Webers or Dell'Ortos (although some rate the Strombergs higher)
The radiator looks like it has been converted to 26R specification, which is a proven modification, but it is not really necessary as the original cooling system is perfectly allright as long as it's properly looked after.

The Sprint is the most powerful Elan, yes. However, it is easy to modify a S3 or S4 to give the same power.
As for the weight, the Sprint is heavier than the earlier cars, but we are takling about 20 kg or so. You will not notice it.

Regards
Jolly
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: