Joyce's S3,S4

PostPost by: SamIAm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:11 am

Greeting to all from snowed in Manitoba/Canada. It has been some time since I have posted but I am back at it plodding along, trying to get our Elan on the road for next spring. Problems I have run into is that Elans are hard to find in my area. Took lots of pictures when stripping. Loaded them into the computer which promptly crashed. The biggest problem is figuring where components go. I have a new harness but have to figure where it runs as well. It has been a few years since it was stripped and the old memory isn't what it used to be. Any help or idea's would be appreciated. I have an S4 dash, S/4 serial number was on the frame. S3 body, Weber carbs. I will include a few pictures.

Thanks
Graeme
Attachments
Elan & Halloween   (Nov 12) 009.jpg and
Elan & Halloween   (Nov 12) 010.jpg and
Elan & Halloween   (Nov 12) 011.jpg and
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:31 am

WHEN I made the harness for my car I ran it down the right side of the car through the lattice work under the door and split it to the dash behind the kick panel and to the new fuse panel [ very non stock ] and out the left side of the dash to points where power was needed coil head lights horn etc etc ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Greame,

Just to confirm - it's a 3 part loom.

i.e. Engine compartment, Dash / Cockpit and Rear (boot).

My RHD Sprint has the main loom wiring running inside the L/H sill, up and over the L/H turret area to the battery and rear lights, etc, in the L/H side, and running across to the rear lights on the rear panel of the Boot.

Apparently, the original main earth strap position in the Boot well, to the rear chassis bolt, is not ideal.

I've modified the Earth wiring (having checked with the Forum for concensus of opinion), to earth at the L/H chassis mount high up on the turret, behind the curved rear cockpit carpet.

The dash and instument wiring, pretty well all plugs into the engine loom, on the L/H side under the dash, adj. the wiper motor.

You may wish to modify the engine loom for the addition of an Altenator, fan wiring, horns, etc., but this again, runs on the LHS, after emerging through the bulkhead, to the regulator box (made redundant by the Altenator), Relays (on the LHS for RHD cars), finally crossing the front of the car, infront of the rack , in the nose, to Headlights,sides and indicators, etc.

I'm not that experienced in these matters as a 'newby', but have received great help from the other Forum members, and feel like I'd like to do my bit to help! (as I'm just completing my electrical refurb - it's still fresh in ever more forgetfull mind !)

The Threads are great for reference, and there's a million mods, etc,. that are discussed therin.

P.M me if you require specific photo's, etc, I'll do my best to help.

Regards,

Phil.T.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jfornarola » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Graeme,

I am finishing the installation of a new harness in my S3 DHC. Mine came from British Wiring and has a diagram with their wire color codes. It is a bit different than the diagram in the Workshop Manual, but then it seems most published Lotus wiring harnesses seem to be suggestions!

Let me know your questions. I've probably just been through it.

John
jfornarola
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SamIAm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks, Ed, Philip and John for your prompt replys, Just got back from a Remembrance Service and now I have to go out and plow snow for awhile then I will get back to the Elan. You have given me lots of idea's. My wiring harness (3 part) was from British Wiring. I got it through Ray at RD Enterprises but there was no print with it. I shall look into this. Is there a difference in RHD/LHD regarding which side I run down. My other LBC's all ran down the left side.

Cheers,
Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Sam,
Perhaps the best way forward re routing of your wiring is to ask here when you have a specific problem and I'm sure that within 24 hours someone with an LHD car will post up a photo.
I don't recall having seen LHD wiring diagrams in my (UK) manuals but I could be wrong, obviously there will be differences in some cable lengths but apart from that, maybe everything else is pretty much the same?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm currently restoring a 1966 LHD S3 coupe and although not yet ready to install my refurbished original loom I can confirm in its original unrestored condition the loom was located in the LHS of the body. I have modified the loom to incorporate more fuses, Facit electric fuel pump, alternator, plexiglass headlights, improved window lift motors and Heat/Air conditioning and will not know for a few weeks if my efforts are OK but I'm sure the wire lengths do reach all the under bonnet and in boot locations for the standard components. The main battery feed was let into the wood insert at the bottom of the B pillar and was clearly there since the car was built. My car is a pre airflow but I'm fairly sure its a typical LHD installation. As Pete says, I don't think the WS manual differentiates which hand but the cut lengths will confirm they are correct for your car, I guess a "dry build" of the new loom, laying it in place will confirm if they reach the correct components.
I had a similar problem with the restoration of my Lotus Cortina and in fact "let the smoke out" when I first tried to start it. I got a replacement loom from the UK and had to modify it to LHD as they didn't make one for my car. It all worked out in the end but its worth extra fuses even if its at the expense of originality.
Hope this helps,

65Ginetta
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 am

I encountered a similar problem when I restored my LHD Federal +2. The harness I purchased from British Wiring was nothing like the original looms. I determined that the loom sent to me was for an early RHD +2.

If you have your original looms it would be easy to compare with the loom you have purchased. You will most likely find very few similarities.

Dont waste your time trying to modify the new loom to suit your car as it will most likely require many modifications and to do that properly would require unwrapping most or all of the loom. Keep in mind that loom tape is not electrical tape. Electrical tape will become a sticky ugly mess underhood. Loom tape is available. When you factor in the correct terminals and sleeves and crimping tools and the variety of color coded wire needed, getting another loom that matches your original is the best way to go.

I made the wiring harnesses for my TVR Vixen as I did not have any original looms and I added many modern features such as but not limited to relays, extra fuses, horn relay and alternator. I purchased loads of wire in the correct colors and more connectors and corresponding crimping tools than I thought were available.

I returned the incorrect loom supplied by British Wiring for my +2 and sent the original looms to Auto Sparks in the UK. I included a list of upgrades I was looking to add. It was expensive but the harnesses I received fit perfectly and had all the upgrades. They did a great job.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:15 pm

SamIAm wrote:Is there a difference in RHD/LHD regarding which side I run down.

Graeme,

To answer your question, no. My car has left hand steering from the factory. My factory original loom came in from the engine compartment through the left side of the bulkhead and went directly to the center of the dash. Had my car been a right hand steering car, the loom would have split off to all of the switches and gauges on the right but my car has left hand steering so the loom made a U-turn and proceeded to feed the switches and gauges on the left. Eventually, it ran down the left hand side in the door sill to the boot. It was obvious that the loom could be used for either left or right steering.

It could also be used for a DHC or a FHC as my loom contained two wires for the two rear courtesy lights and one wire for the rear window defroster neither of which are included in a DHC. The loom also included an extra wire for the tail lights that is not needed with US spec tail lights. In all, my loom contained 4 wires that were not needed so did I dispose of these wires? Oh no. These 4 wires now run the rear radio speakers and it sounds great!

I haven't seen your car since we visited your body man and he was 3/4 done. I'm glad you painted the engine compartment yellow rather than black. It really makes the motor pop out! The rest of the car doesn't look too bad either!

I am planning on changing the wiring on my car yet again. My problem is, I saw Charlie Betz's car (as did you) and he used some hot rod tricks to hide some of the wiring all together like running the ugly battery cable behind the top of the bulkhead rather than in front of it. Charlie had a lot of good ideas that I plan on incorporating into my car.

Again, your Elan (or rather, Joyce's Elan) looks fantastic! Everyone on this forum wants to help you complete it!
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Graeme,

Are you sure you don't have a S3-Super Safety model. The SS dash looks a lot like a S4. Like you, I took photos before I took my SS apart for the latest body-off repair/ restoration. It is just about completely back together, just the door cards and headamps to be fitted.

The loom is in the LH rocker panel and crosses over in the back to the fuel tank sender and connections to the boot lid (# plate lamps) and continues to the back of the car in the RH wing, and the back to pick up the rear lamp clusters.

At the front of the rocker panel, it comes up the outside of the lattice over the top before splitting to connect the dash or out the big hole and into the engine bay. Once in the engine bay, it splits again. A small part crosses the firewall to the solenoid, fuse box and regulator, while the other side of the split carries down the LH inner wing to do the brake lites, parking brake, screen washers etc and continuing to the front for the LH park and head lamps and horns, crossing in front of the radiator to the RH lamps then returning up the RH inner wing partially to the coil. This all from memory of just connecting it back in 6 months ago. I have the SS with me here in Florida, so I can photograph any details you want. Send me you email in a PM.

I have also owned RHD Elans and the loom also goes down the LH rocker panel.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SamIAm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks again to everyone, I really don't know what I have. This car has been through a few wars and we had to do a lot of work to make the body decent. The s/n is 36/9724 and the number is also stamped on the frame. The Engine number matches the nameplate. I also have a spare number plate that came with it (36-7447) that would fit in the SS range. It has bolt on wheels, webers,single master cylinder and a definite S3 airflow body with the side airvents just cut in to the body, (no raised portion just in front of the vents like an S4 has.) Plans are to make this a nice driver by next spring. Maybe with this information you folks can be just as confused as I about what I have. I think it has been rebodied from a donor. Or?

Cheers to all

Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi Graeme

I think your car looks fabulous in that shade of yellow, can I ask you what it is?

It really works with the shape of an Elan beautifully, I want one that colour.

Do you have the early type airflow vent grilles as they are now getting hard to find, they very occasionally come up on ebay but I have not seen any for a while.

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Graeme,

I am confused too. I went back to your initial photos and the hole pattern in your door jambs look like S4 type. I went back to photos of my SS at the paint shop and it has 4 holes for S3 type latches. I would assume you have the plastic flapper S4 interior door latch handles. I would guess you have bits of both cars, although even an SS has airflow vents. I also think your loom will run the same as mine and all other Elans, varying only in what they connect to as the loom passes locations of components.

BTW, I like your yellow too, but my early pre-airflow FHC will always be red. I fell in love with the red road test car in Sports Car Graphic back in 1966.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SamIAm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello all again from the middle of Canada. Another snow day, the schools are all closed. Still progressing Joyce's Elan. It looks like the DPO chucked the little round fresh air vents that fit in the molded risers each side of the windscreen. Anyone know where I could get a pair, they don't seem to be available. I'm not sure which bin Lotus got them from either.

Thanks,
Graeme
SamIAm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm

SamIAm wrote:. It looks like the DPO chucked the little round fresh air vents that fit in the molded risers each side of the windscreen. I'm not sure which bin Lotus got them from either.Graeme

I believe they are from some Rovers, quite scarce so go for a high price...(like everything related to Lotus)
This thread discusses them along with the large ones:
body-chassis-frame-f36/and-sprint-airflow-vents-t23934.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: