Elan +2S rebuild

PostPost by: k44ent » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am

Having owned the car for over 12 years and only covering 4000 miles I have started to rebuild my Elan +2 S. The car was "re-built" including the engine before I purchased it in 1999. I am amazed at some of the things I am finding on a so called rebuilt car, first thing was after a few months when I took a wheel off, the split pins in the front hub nut's were actually nails. On stripping the re-built engine I am finding a quite a few alarming things. 1st off it didn't have a tab / locking washer on the jack shaft thrust plate bolts. 2nd, a big end bearing had worn through the white metal in one place, closer inspection revealed dirt under the shell causing it to sit proud. 3rd, the head gasket was the wrong size for a 60 thou re-bore and had not sealed as it was too small and sitting inside the bores. The 4th thing is a blocked oil way to the rear jack shaft bearings. It turns out an electrical bullet connector was wedged in the hole that goes from the main bearings to the jack shaft. Yesterday was spent straightening out a dented sump so the engine rebuild can now commence. Saying all that I am enjoying the re-build :)
k44ent
New-tral

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:40 am

k44ent wrote: Saying all that I am enjoying the re-build :)

That's the main thing. Good luck with it.

Some interesting finds so far...one wonders what other gems await you!

The bullet connector :shock: might be a first. There is a thread you might like to add to!

free-parking-f19/bodges-you-found-done-your-elan-t23590.html

Cheers - Richard
Last edited by ardee_selby on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: k44ent » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for the link Richard, i'll pop over later and add my two pennies worth.
k44ent
New-tral

Total Online: