Lotus Elan - Best Sports Car Ever !!!

PostPost by: peterako » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 am

According to Classic and Sportscar July 2012 :)

I'm chuffed :D

Am trying to enlighten as many of my 'other marque' friens as possible. Teh Jag guys are not taking it too well....

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes but we already knew that :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 am

...just bought C&SC for a read over lunch.

A fairly lightweight article I thought - would have preferred some more incisive analysis and detailed accounts of the driving experiences for each of the cars.

At least it's official though - the Baby Elan does exist :wink:
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:45 pm

jono wrote:At least it's official though - the Baby Elan does exist :wink:

I haven't read it yet but that level of ignorance probably illustrates that it's not worth reading ....... :roll:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I liked some of the comments in the article such as "This is one of the few classics where an original chassis can sometimes dent value".

No mention of Zetec, BDA, BDG, Duratec or any alternative engined cars, nor 5 or 6 speed gearboxes other than the Lotus/Maxi item.

Very lightweight coverage whatever your personal viewpoint is, but I shall enjoy reading the rest of the magazine no doubt.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 am

In general, one of my childhood favourite magazines has become very lightweight.

Some of the comments/comentary in the magazine are cringeworthy.

But the Elan headline is still great :)

The depth of the article is much like the one earlier in the year on Lotus in the same mag.
The one that featured Sue Miller's Sprint.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:16 pm

For anyone that is interested it is my green +2 that is included in that artlicle. Its the first time I've done anything like that and consequently found the photo shoot interesting but a second time I would stuggle with the boredom.

The written article is a little lighter weight than I expected but they are trying to make comments on all the cars represented (for the owners sake as much as anything else) so with so many cars it would be difficult to go inte depth with available space.

Just my two penneth.

All the best Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:28 pm

andyhodg wrote:For anyone that is interested it is my green +2 that is included in that artlicle. Its the first time I've done anything like that and consequently found the photo shoot interesting but a second time I would stuggle with the boredom.

The written article is a little lighter weight than I expected but they are trying to make comments on all the cars represented (for the owners sake as much as anything else) so with so many cars it would be difficult to go inte depth with available space.

Just my two penneth.

All the best Andy

Andy,
We are all a bunch of grumpy old experts, also we are jealous that they didn't feature our cars :wink: People have devoted whole books on the subject and it still doesn't satisfy us.

Were the feature writers knowledgeable or did they have preconceptions and biased views.

BTW: regarding the boredom, I spent a very dreary day with the presenters and film crew of Driven when they shot a feature on city cars in my so called typical suburban close a few years ago. Watching paint dry whilst having your teeth drilled is preferable, I showed Mike Brewer and Penny Mallory around my garage and driveway which contained a genuine Mini Cooper S, a Suzuki Swift Gti and a Ogle SX1000 that I was storing for a friend, I got the impression that they didn't really like cars.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Alan

James Elliott appeared to be pretty knowledgable. He did drive his own +2 to the event despite the fact it wasn't included in the article. He said pleasant things about everyones' car and asked reasonable questions.

I'm quite pleased to have my car as a "cover girl" on a major magazine but as you will know photos are generally complimentry to cars and they inveriably look good despite the actual condition.

The only critisism I would have is that as an engineer I find the journalistic approach a bit on the "arty" side but that comes as no surprise. Mr Elliott came across as a nice guy with a genuine love of classic cars in general.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 pm

James Elliott owned an Elan S2 for ten years before he recently down-graded to the +2 :wink:
When it comes to Lotus he knows which way is up and, imho is a top bloke. Of course, given a limited amount of space, it is difficult to come up with something which this collective of old farts did not already know. :roll:

I have long been of the opinion that C&SC should occasionally do longer articles for special occasions- the 50th Elan anniversary, the 50th E-type, Cobra.... etc.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 pm

I like the TR6 myself... DOH!!!
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:03 am

Baby Elan is fun and fine for me --Ed the troll
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 am

mark030358 wrote:I like the TR6 myself... DOH!!!

Tart's car- what about the TR5? Supplied new with a chest wig and medallion. :wink:

Pete, aka Great Big Billy Goat Gruff.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:01 am

elansprint71 wrote: Pete, aka Great Big Billy Goat Gruff.

Does that account for your clack, clack, clack, over the rickety bridge? :wink:

Richard (aka Chupacabra)
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Richard (aka Chupacabra)

Now that conjures an image which isn't pretty :shock:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: